What's new

cat pump vibration / pulsation

washman9

Reaction score
we have cat pumps 5cp2120. I am having a problem with the high pressure outlet hose shaking or vibrating so bad on the roof that is sounds like a thunder storm. also, the constant vibration is loosening the fitting over time. I have replaced the seals, valves, checked for air leaks, etc. Wondering if it could be the regulator? any thoughts much appreciated. Tired of throwing parts at it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Was the head washed out. You did check for that when you had it apart, didn't you? If it's been pulsating for a long time, I would bet $10 to a dog turd that the head is washed out. Many people yank a pump apart, see bad seals, and throw a new seal kit in a ruined head.

Cavitation will cause lots of vibration as well, but after a while it will ruin the head. You could have a cavitation issue that caused your problem, or worn out seals that were let go too long. Yank the head back off and see if it is washed out before you throw any more parts/money at it. Check both the seal mating area and the valve area.

sparkey

Reaction score
I just went through this with a pulsating pump. I even replaced the pump and had the same problem. I found the inlet hose going from the tank to the pump had fittings that were half rusted shut. It was starving the pump of water.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Do you have pulsation dampeners? My pumps are smooth, but you can still have vibrations in the trough/attic. I have one bay that is worse than all the others. Although I've never had it loosen fittings...

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
You could have ..<snip>.. worn out seals that were let go too long.
This sounds like me. I haven't been real diligent about repairing my seals when needed and my pump head wear has suffered. I don't see myself changing. I've read all the praises about sleeving pump heads and am considering sleeving my pumps.

Will a sleeved head wear out if I don't replace my seals promptly, or does a sleeve just protect against normal wear if you treat the pump correctly (change the seals when needed)?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
"Theoretically" a sleeved head should last forever, even if you are lax like GW and I about changing seals at the first sign of pulsation.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
we have cat pumps 5cp2120. I am having a problem with the high pressure outlet hose shaking or vibrating so bad on the roof that is sounds like a thunder storm. also, the constant vibration is loosening the fitting over time. I have replaced the seals, valves, checked for air leaks, etc. Wondering if it could be the regulator? any thoughts much appreciated. Tired of throwing parts at it.
washman9,

If you look at some past posts by Randy ... you may find that constant pressure from a city water type of setup may help prevent these washout problems. Based on our specific experience we do not have Randy's setup ... but I honestly think that us using this &/or a similar gun http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1240-cat-dump-gun-3000psi-10gpm.aspx might be making for us having fewer issues than some of the others with washout. There are a lot of positive things said about Arimitsu Pumps in previous posts ... that could mean that they have fewer washout problems ... I am not sure.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

ICEMAN

Reaction score
A sleeved head should last forever. If you have a 5cp2120w and it is pulsating it is almost a lock that it is washed out in the valve ports. Check the black oring at the bottom of the valve, if it is chewed up or missing the head is washed out. Cat pumps 310 and 5cp are known for this. I send mine into Kleen rite, they machine it out and press fit a stainless sleeve in the head, problem solved.

Etowah