What's new

Cat pump repair

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
I can and do repair any aspects of them as you know, but there are limits. If a pump throws a rod, for example, it's not cost-effective to repair.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Valves, seals, & plungers are easy, I think most of us do that ourselves. Anything beyond that I'd guess almost none of us diy.

Randy

Reaction score
Anymore we only replace the seals and valves. When the crankcase goes it's not cost effective to repair the crankcase.

Kirb

Reaction score
How often do you change seals, valves, and plungers? How do you know when to replace them?

Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Kirb said:
How often do you change seals, valves, and plungers?
Usually the valve o-rings will go first, although I'm having more problems with the low-pressure seals leaking, at which point I replace all the seals and o-rings.

You want to replace seals and valve o-rings at the first sign of pressure loss to prevent washing out the manifold. If they've been sleeved with stainless inserts, that's not an issue, but you wouldn't want to leave it running rough for other damage it can cause.

The plungers on a Cat pump almost never go bad unless something unusual happens.

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks Mep. When do you replace valves? With seals and valves do you change them as preventative maintance?
Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
You shouldn't ever have to replace the valves themselves, just the o-rings and backup rings. I've had to replace the plastic tops on them a few times when an employee left the wash-down switch on, but they don't wear.

I don't replace seals as preventive maintenance. I replace them at the first sign of a drop in pressure or pulsation. I've had two of the heads sleeved already, and once they're all done there's no reason at all to replace them until needed.