What's new

Cat pump cp 2120 vibration

Reaction score
Hi there and merry Christmas everyone. I have this cp 2120 pump vibrates and pressure is about 100psi less than usual. It has new seal and valve, and as far as I see there is no washout in the head. Can a bad pressure regulator paraplate br5-2 create vibration?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Anywhere on the inlet side of the pump that water leaks out can allow air in when the pump is running. If water is leaking out the weep hole on the side it's the likely culprit. Even if the rugulator is not leaking It is still easy enough to swap out it's worth trying. Another cause of rough running and pressure loss can be water starvation.

Reaction score
Update: changed one of the fitting which is brining soap to the after check calve under hot water tank, and also changed the pressure regulator. Problem not solved. Next going to change the head.

Reaction score
Update: changed the head and still the same.
Changed all the valves to brand new valves and bingo.
I totally lost my trust in the test which you blow in it and it should do from one side but not from another side. All the valves seemed ok when I did that but they were all old.
its ok I can now use the other head as a spare lol. And lessons learned, I change valve if oring is ok but still vibration. Simple.

Randy

Reaction score
Update: changed the head and still the same.
Changed all the valves to brand new valves and bingo.
I totally lost my trust in the test which you blow in it and it should do from one side but not from another side. All the valves seemed ok when I did that but they were all old.
its ok I can now use the other head as a spare lol. And lessons learned, I change valve if oring is ok but still vibration. Simple.
Are you sure the head isn't washed out? The 5CP2120 is known to wash out prematurely. I'd check and see if it's washed out, if it is I'd call Cat and see if it's under warranty, you might be lucky and score a new pump head. If it's not covered under warranty I'd send it to IDS and have it sleeved in Stainless http://idspumprepair.com/resleeving.php

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's your valves per se. I've had this a few times at different sites and usually it's the O ring or the white back plastic backup ring is missing or worn out. Installing one of those two has always fixed it.

You mentioned O ring did they have the back up ring?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If the head has a W stamped on it cat will exchange the bare, stripped head for free with one marked with an R. The R is not returnable.

If you replace the O ring on the valve and it chews the replacement O ring up quickly, I'd swap the head out.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes it has R on it so its not returnable, i changed this head 4 years ago. Im sure the head is good since the valve oring staed fine for a month but vibration was there. Yes ive seen several times when head goes bad, the valve oring keeps busting which means its about time to change head.