What's new

Cat Pump 5CP2120W belt tension

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Just installed all new belts on my 3 pumps tonight and I had to tighten the tension a little bit, my question is can you have a belt "to tight" and if so will it make the pressure drop? what is a good way to know what the belt deflection should be?

MEP001

Reaction score
"Too tight" won't make the pressure drop unless it's so tight it's binding the bearings in the pump/motor. I would think the belt would break under that much tension.

I try to get a 1/4" deflection using B38 belts - you'll want a little more with a longer belt. Most of them have a set-in period where they stretch, and you need to retighten them after about a week. If you see a lot of black dust under the belt guard, the belt is too loose or it's fixin'ta break.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Life of the belts on single groove pulleys???

Just installed all new belts on my 3 pumps tonight and I had to tighten the tension a little bit, my question is can you have a belt "to tight" and if so will it make the pressure drop? what is a good way to know what the belt deflection should be?
Diamond & others,

I wonder if the deflection tension adjustment should vary some depending on how close the motor pulley is to the pump pulley? Only if the belt was slipping (as in too loose) I would think that pressure loss is possible. Too tight would tend to just cause premature bearing failures ... I would think.

On our Specialty Futura's I give the manufacturer(posthumously) credit for having made special pulleys that allowed for 2 belts instead of one. In 25 years I can only remember changing belts on our Cat 310s maybe once or twice at the very most. On a previous set up we only had 1 belt (single groove pulleys) & it seems like it was definitely more often we needed to replace the belt ... plus the bay would be down if it fails ... vs a back up belt ... eeking pumping on.

Out of curiosity ... How long do belts normally last on everyone's self service belt driven pumps.

mike

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My Mark VII Proline systems use a single 5/8 or "B" belt and give no trouble at all. I have no doubt that the belts are ten years old or older.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have some old Generals and cat 5cp2120 seem like we never change them except if the pump or motor has gone bad which is so infrequent I can't say.

Etowah

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Ok I am having a major problem with my pump I cannot get over 800psi, here's what I have changed:

New Nozzle (1508)
New Flex Wand from Hamel Mfg
New Suttner ST-1500 Weep Gun
New 14' 3/8" hose in the bay
New Seal kit in pump
New Gauge on pump
New Regulators medium pressure and High pressure
Replaced the Oil
Checked incoming city water all was ok

and still I cannot get past 800psi.

Randy

Reaction score
Check the check valves on your Weep system and on the low pressure Tire cleaner and Presoak system that they aren't leaking by. I do this by disconnecting the system at the check valve and start the High pressure pump, if you get any water out the check valve replace the valve. Another way to test the bay system is to disconnect the hose off the pump going out to the bay and connect a gun setup directly to the pump discharge that goes out to the bay, this will bypass the hose going out to the bay. Start the pump and if you have good pressure then you know your problem is out in the bay and not with the pump it's self. Be sure to run the hose outside the equipment room.

I use a 1505 nozzle and run the Cat pumps at 1500 psi with no problem.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
A 1508 tip is 4 GPM at 1000 PSI. The usual pulleys used on a 5CP are 4" on the motor and 8" on the pump. That won't spin the pump fast enough to produce 4 GPM, so you'll never reach 1000 PSI. Try a 1507 tip.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Does anybody's cat pump 310 or 5CP come with a belt tension bolt like mine? if not then how do you pull the motor or pump to tighten the belt?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My Mark VII Proline systems have no tensioning apparattus. I get it as tight as I can by forceing the pump forward as best I can and I tighten a bolt or two. I then roll the belt off and loosen and scoot the pump up another 1/8 - 1/4", then tighten it down. I then roll the belt back on. It's not a critical adjustment and this will usually do the trick.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to use a shovel handle until it slipped off and I whacked myself in the head as hard as I could. Sometimes I mlfprt the prondwort to gp ig longtf.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I used to use a shovel handle until it slipped off and I whacked myself in the head as hard as I could. Sometimes I mlfprt the prondwort to gp ig longtf.
Did you do it in the middle of this post?;):D

dbrown2911

Reaction score
ok i have a problem. I just replaced my Cat 310S pump with the double pully like Mike is talking about. The belts are tight..they look dead on aligned..everything is connected. The motor spins free no growling and runs with no problem. When I start pump up it takes off to over 1000 psi..then it smells like burning belt and the pump hesitates a few times then a few more then pretty much stops..meanwhile the motor is still running. I know this seems like a belt slipping problem..but I dont see that when I watch it and the belts are pretty tight in my opinion. (takes 2- 4L320 Belts) Any ideas?? YOu can just hear the sound as it changes and runs out of "gas" and it slows down. I shut off and start it back up and it runs for a few minutes then does that...What am i missing??

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Just did one--no tensioner. Wood block against pump and crow bar off motor then my son tightened. Best with two people.

Ted

MEP001

Reaction score
What's the pressure running on the pump when the pump hesitates?

What size is the motor pulley?

How tight are the belts? It's not like a car fan belt - there should be almost no deflection at all when you press on the center of the belt with one finger.

dbrown2911

Reaction score
Ok maybe it is not right enough. I hold back with one hand a try to tighten with other. Plus this is a pump on bottom of rack so it is hard to get to. Will try to strong man it tonight! Thanks.