What's new

CAT CP 2120 Vibration

Reaction score
Hello, I have a vibration in one of our CAT CP1220 pumps. Is not too crazy but I cant figure our what's wrong with it. The head is good, the valves are new (at least 3 of them are, and the rest passed my test, you know blowing to them). What else can create vibration?
I cant think of a place that make air to get into the pump. Maybe the Check Valve under the Hot water tank going bad (I have Super Savor JCH unit)? The Check Valve not opening 100%.

Randy

Reaction score
You could be starving the pump for water, the seals could be bad in the pump head, you could have debris under one of the valves. How do you know the head is good? It the gun in the bay pulsating also?

Reaction score
It the gun in the bay pulsating also?
Yes you feel the hose that has vibration in the bay.
when I changed the valve today, I didn't see any washout areas in the head, so I think the head is good and only 1-2 years old.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad valve, either debris under the poppet or missing o-ring.

mac

Reaction score
Even if the valves are good where they sit can be bad. Take out valve and seat. Have good light and a magnifying glass. Look for ANY signs of wear.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
A 5cp2120w with vibration in your bay hose is washed out. Known problem with the pump, so much so that Cat will give you a new head under warranty. Check for missing or damaged orings on the valves.

Randy

Reaction score
The only way to tell if the head is washed out is to remove the head, the seal retainers, the seals and look at the seal sitting surfaces. I would think a head would last longer than 2 years before it washed out.

MEP001

Reaction score
Known problem with the pump, so much so that Cat will give you a new head under warranty.
It's a warranty that was established before it was a "known problem."

I would think a head would last longer than 2 years before it washed out.
If the pump is plumbed improperly, it can happen in as little as six months.

Randy

Reaction score
[QUOTE
If the pump is plumbed improperly, it can happen in as little as six months.
[/QUOTE]
How are they supposed to be plumbed? All of our pumps are plumbed with the water inlet and discharge on the right side of the pump when your looking down at the pump. The gauge is the only thing on the left side of the pump along with the belt.

mac

Reaction score
That’s the correct way.

MEP001

Reaction score
It used to be in the service manual, it was diagrammed to have the inlet on one side and the outlet on the other, with the regulator bypass hosed across back to the inlet. The worst plumbing is to have the regulator bypass going to the opposite side of the inlet, which causes a brief cavitation every time the trigger is pulled or released because the flow changes direction inside the pump. Hot water makes it even worse.

MEP001

Reaction score
Funny that replacing the seals solves vibrations / pulsations for me.
Most of the car washes around here were built in a very similar way regardless of who made the equipment, which usually has soap and wax solenoids mounted in the underside of the electrical cabinet. The hose/tubing fittings are prone to leaking, which causes pulsation. A lot of them use the same check valve between the tank and pump, which fails partially closed and causes pulsation. In my experience, valve o-rings fail before pump seals, which causes pulsation.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hello, I have a vibration in one of our CAT CP1220 pumps. Is not too crazy but I cant figure our what's wrong with it. The head is good, the valves are new (at least 3 of them are, and the rest passed my test, you know blowing to them). What else can create vibration?
I cant think of a place that make air to get into the pump. Maybe the Check Valve under the Hot water tank going bad (I have Super Savor JCH unit)? The Check Valve not opening 100%.

So did you ever fix this? I'm curious what it was based on the different replies

Reaction score
So did you ever fix this? I'm curious what it was based on the different replies
Not yet, no fix yet. I only have changed the valves. Based on what I see here I'm thinking to change the seal and see. I'll post an update when I do that. Just few more background info: This is a less than 2 year old head. I don't see any particular issue with the FEED line, unless the little Check Valve under the Hot Water tank is bad? I feel the vibration at that Check Valve as well.

Randy

Reaction score
The longer you wait, your increasing your chances of ruining the head, if it's not already ruined.