What's new

Cat Conversion Kit

Gabriel

Reaction score
I would like to ask a question about Cat Pumps. We have converted to Cat 5CP direct drive pumps in the place of Wanner pumps because they are the only conversion made for our brand of equipment. Does anyone know the difference in the quality, durability, or other difference in the Cat 5CP and Cat 310's. I would actually have preferred 530's, but they are not available in this conversion.

MEP001

Reaction score
The 5CP was slated to be the "replacement" for the 310, but in my experience it's not as rugged, strange considering it uses the same seals and valves. As far as I can tell, its only advantage is that it's easier to service. The 5CP crankcase is smaller, the pump is noisier, and you nearly always have to replace the seal casing when you service it, where the 310 can be sanded down once or twice.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
The 5CP has a one time replacement head under warranty. That is the only positive I can see with switching to the 5CP. I agree with Mep, that the 310 is a probably a better choice for the reasons mentioned. I would reccomend getting a 310S. These heads have stainless inserts, to keep from washing out, and are only about 30- 50 dollars more than a regular 310

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The 5CP was slated to be the "replacement" for the 310, but in my experience it's not as rugged, strange considering it uses the same seals and valves. As far as I can tell, its only advantage is that it's easier to service. The 5CP crankcase is smaller, the pump is noisier, and you nearly always have to replace the seal casing when you service it, where the 310 can be sanded down once or twice.
Ditto the above.

A couple of years ago I bought a brand new Mark VII pump stand with 5CP pumps. I swapped them out with Arimitsu 516 pumps before ever installing the stand. I sold the new 5CPs to a friend (I think she's still a friend). After she installed one I got a call asking "Are these pumps supposed to be this noisy?".

Gabriel

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I don't think I really have a choice because it is a special kit Cat made with a special housing to fit big old 5 HP Ryko motors with Wanner pumps. The Ryko Wanners were limited to 1000 psi and constantly blew up on us. We have switched out to the only kit available that I know of and so far so good. Cats are new to us in our own wash, but I have had a lot of experience with the great old 530 Cat pumps. They are a work horse and I was hoping the 5cp might be some kind of improvement on 310's, but it doesn't sound like they actually are. We will use them and maintain the faithfully. For over a year now they have been perfect. I suppose we will hit the wall later and our learning curve on cat 5CP's will begin. Anything I should stock? Ryko now offers 530's on their pump stand and have made a really nice clean job of it. They have discontinued Wanners as best I know and have a great new stainless pump stand now. Wish I had it! Also I have to give Cat credit for making the conversion available for operators stuck with this strange set up.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Gator, keep a seal kit, valve o-rings, and maybe a seal case or two and you should have enough parts to keep it going. One thing good about the pump not being as reliable as the 310 is that many times it starts leaking when the seals go bad, making it harder to let it go so long that the head washes out.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I will order up that stuff just in case and try to make the repairs early.

Etowah