What's new

Cat 5CP2120 Pump Crank – Rod problems

Randy

Reaction score
I got a call from a friend who has had nothing but problems with his Cat 5CP pumps. First the heads washed out, replaced them one time under warranty. The second time they washed out they sent them to Vilco in Tennessee and had them milled out and re-sleeved with Stainless steel inserts. Since he’s had them re-sleeved, he is now experiencing Crank and Rod failures. Could this be caused by the re-sleeving or some other problem? These pumps are about 5 or 6 years old and he’s pretty good about maintaining his equipment. Has anyone else heard about Crank or Rod failures with the 5CP pumps?

MikeV

Reaction score
Randy, I've had a couple of the 5cp pumps fail due to rod/crank problems. Talked to a Cat rep and he told me to send them in for evaluation and replacement. Sent them on and got them replaced at no charge.

phred113

Reaction score
MikeV:
Are you saying CAT actually replaced something? Did it come with a Merry Christmas greeting? This could be the only explanation I can come up with for their strange behavior.

MikeV

Reaction score
Yes phred, I cornered one of the reps at the ICA convention and he promised he would check out the pumps and see what caused the failure. A few weeks later I got new pumps delivered . What a surprise!!!