What's new

CAT 530 leak:(

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 4 yr. old CAT pump that feeds my busiest ss bay has developed a leak.

Appears to be coming from between the pump head and body.

There is a clearish plastic-looking piece under the head/body interface and that is nearest the origin of the leak, I think.

Time to rebuild the front part of this li'l workhorse?

A friend with ample 'street smarts' told me to inventory the seal and plunger (I think) and O-ring kits for these and I (gasp!) followed his advice.

So looks like MOnday will be 'pump day'. Right?:eek:

MEP001

Reaction score
Is it leaking water? There is a complete kit for all the seals in the head. It's highly unlikely the plunger is the problem, but it's a good idea to keep a set of o-rings, back-up rings and copper washers for one pump on hand in case it is. You will need a special tool to remove the seal casings to replace the high-pressure seals (which you should do if the low-pressure seals are worn to leaking), or you can cut a flat prybar to fit (costs around $12 instead of $60 and works as well if not better). To complete the rebuild, replace the o-rings and back up rings on the valves.

Parts blow-up:
http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/530.pdf

Service manual:
http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/5-15FSvc.pdf

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes it is slowly leaking water from the area I described.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Waxman,Go to the cat web site and get the torque spec for the plunger retainer.It is very important to us a torque wrench when replacing the seals on the plungers. I rebuilt a used four year old 310w I purchased off the internet,two out of three plungers were cracked.Also if you have a build up of soap coating the inside of the pump suspect an air leak on the suction side. The air oxidizes the soap causing the build up. Soak the head in a low PH soap or vinegar to clean it.
Cheers,Pete.