What's new

Cat 310 pump oil question

Gabriel

Reaction score
I have asked before, but who makes Cat Oil? Cat does not refine oil, so who actually makes it? I guess being in the Lube business I would have to say that at least on some schedule, check and change oil--the stuff does get dirty and break down. Metal particles and other trash make their way into the crank case and clean oil is better than grit and grime. No combustion so no deterioration from fuel, but I would at least change oil that looks black and dirty. Just my opinion, but I do think it is sound regardless of the type oil that you use. The words: dirt, moisture, chemicals, filth, muck, sludge, and cylinder wear come to mind. Good things to avoid or at least minimize!

MEP001

Reaction score
Gator said:
I have asked before, but who makes Cat Oil?
I don't know who does it, but it's supposedly a custom blend of anti-foam agents and water-absorbing agents in ISO 68 hydraulic fluid.

Danny

Reaction score
I don?t think you can compare an oil change in your trucks Diesel engine to the oil change in a Cat pump. There isn?t any combustion in the cat pump to contaminate the oil like there is in a Diesel engine. It?s the fuel combustion that contaminates the oil in a Diesel engine. I?m still with Randy, So why change the oil in my Cat pumps? If I change the oil in my cat pumps what should I be looking for to head off any problems? Water in the oil? I don?t need to change the oil to see water in the oil.
LOL Kevin I think the reason why I used the truck as an example was missed. I used it as an example of MYSELF being OVERLY cautious.

I conceded that in most cases if there is not water in the oil there is most likely nothing wrong. To answer your question more thoughly about what can happen I called Cat and asked! Metal shavings from the bearings and shaft and moisture/corrosion can be found in regular oil changes as a preventative measure limiting more damage from occuring. The oil can also deteriorate or break down over time leading to the pump working harder.

Cat's recommended maintenance schedule for unfettered use, every 1500 hrs replace seals, every 3000 hrs replace valves, oil change after first 50hrs, cat brand oil every 500 hrs or every 300 hrs with "other" brand after first oil change.

joe denardis

President
Reaction score
I changed the oil in my CAT 310 pumps every year. A CAT representative told me years ago that 30W non detergent was OK to use. I've never had a seal or bearing problem in the last 12 years.