What's new

Cat 310 pulsating problem

Clintearl

Reaction score
Having a problem with a Cat 310 pump pulsating. I've checked piping for leaks, put a spring kit in pump, checked downstream side. What could it be?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't know what a "spring" kit is, so I'm assuming you meant "seal" kit. Was the pump pulsating before you installed the kit? Was there any washout in the seal mating surface area? Did you pull the valves and install new o-rings? Was there any washout in the valve area? Was there any debris in the valves?

You may want to check out the "sticky" thread on 310 manifolds. There's lots of good info and pics there.

Kevin James

Reaction score
What makes the Cat 310 pump heads wash out? Has anyone ever figured out why they do that?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What makes the Cat 310 pump heads wash out? Has anyone ever figured out why they do that?
I would assume water and chemicals would do this over time. Much like rocks in a river eventually being turned to pebbles by the constant beating? That's the only thing I could think of.

Reaction score
its the valves, the head is washed out and if you replace the orings on the valves it will only last for a while, the heads are warrantied from cat for 1 replacement.....

washnvac

Reaction score
One time warranty is on the 5cp2120w; not the 310. Send it to KR and have all 9 sleeves redone for $195. It will last pretty much forever then.

Reaction score
I have sent the 310 head in also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Straight to cat and they sent me a new one! But the new one is not covered!!!!!!!!!!! Email cat direct and they will give you a RMA number. Make sure you take all the plugs and valves out, you just get a bare head back and its a 1 time deal!!

MEP001

Reaction score
Steve, you might have the 310W model that Cat has been covering for one warranty replacement, but the standard 310 doesn't have it.

phred113

Reaction score
Here's my theory: The head washout (manifold) falls into a few categories of general chemical erosion, cavitation and age. The chemical erosion is obviously due to chemical and will take out any brass headed pump. The cavitation issue can be from bad plumbing, hot water and bad pump design. The bad pump design goes to the use of a valve common to many models and as one old man once told me, 'something that is good for everything is good for nothing'.

The washout in the valve area is common is the result of too much restriction and too small surface area for the o-ring seal. The ID of a CAT valve is very small compared to other brands, like Arimitsu (the best in this regard). This small opening will increase the water velocity and cause the pumps to cavitate easier. Cavitation destroys pump heads. Also, the thin o-ring concentrates the vacuum and pressure over a small area, and thereby, does not leave much material to seal against, or erode away before the seal is gone.

These are my thoughts.