What's new

CAT 310 older style

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I just took over a 4 bay ss. Among the spare parts is an older CAT 310 with a brass or bronze colored head. All the old owner told me is that it lost pressure. He never took the head off to try to rebuild or repair it. The pump moves freely, I took off the head and it didn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

Any idea of the age of this style of 310?

I noticed that there were think rubber seals on the plungers, these seals are not on the plungers of my newer 310's.

I just bought a 310 seal kit that I thought I needed. Is an older style 310 compatible with a current seal kit?

'It lost pressure' is pretty vague, but where would you start trying to rebuild this pump?

Randy

Reaction score
Tony, Did you get your other pump problems fixed? Remember we talked about Head Wash out or Head erosion. This is the only thing I?d be concerned with before replacing the seals in your old Brass 310 head. Pull the valves and seal cases and take a hard look down in the seating surfaces for any thing that would look suspect or questionable, like grooves cut across the seating surface. If it looks questionable don?t put the seal kit in your wasting your money. The latest Kleen-Rite Kleen Scene has some pretty good tips on servicing a Cat 310 pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
Tpoppa said:
I noticed that there were think rubber seals on the plungers, these seals are not on the plungers of my newer 310's.
There are, more than likely what you see are the low-pressure seals that stayed on the plungers because the pump has the newer style seal retainers instead of the snap rings. The head is the same except for the plating.

There are already a lot of threads on pump repair, specifically 310s. If you can't find the information you need in any of those, come on back here, but there's no sense in reposting the same stuff again.

http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/5-15FSvc.pdf

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Randy,
Yep. I have everything back in working order. Maybe even a little better than whne I took it over.

I'll take that old 310 apart this weekend and see if it is washed out.

Thx.