What's new

Cat 310 brass seal retainer removal

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Curious... I keep finding myself dealing with Cat 310 pumps that have the seal retainers seized into the head with what appears to be green locktite or similar. The compound is stronger than the brass is and the slotted gaps for the removal tool end up breaking/folding before the seal retainers even think about budging. I'm sure everyone deals with this. So do you just replace the seal retainers every time? I had to use a pipe extractor and a cheater bar on these last ones before I could even see the high pressure seals. It made me throw a wrench or two.

Older pumps didn't use to have this problem, but it appears all recent pumps do...? So I suspect Cat had a great idea to add the green super glue to prevent warranty claims from a seal retainer loosening itself?

MEP001

Reaction score
That sounds like corrosion. I've never seen anything green in a 310. I've even used blue LocTite on the seals when the head had very minor erosion, and still had no problem getting the seal casings out the next time. I suggest coating everything with oil, marine-grade wheel bearing grease, or maybe anti-seize compound. Or switch to 5CP2120 pumps where the seal casings just pull out.

OurTown

Reaction score

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case here. All are previously unserviced pumps. Here is a picture showing what looks like nothing on the lower threads, green on the middle threads, and red coloration on the threads that would be just outside of the head. No other signs of corrosion inside or out and perfect looking brass condition otherwise. As soon as the seal case budges, you can turn it out the rest of the way with only fingers. Screenshot_20210817-061823_Gallery.jpg

OurTown

Reaction score
That does not look like Loctite and the green stuff is not even a thread locker so Cat would not have used it. Maybe it is some type of anti-seize? If so it apparently didn't work very well. A little heat still might help soften whatever it is.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I like to inspect the seals before throwing away to find the actual cause of the issue. I guess if it is green loctite (which is probably what it is based on the intended purpose), then I have to get the seals over their rated temperature of 170 F degrees since the loctite is rated for 400 F (200 C!). I have a pile of old good seal retainers luckily, but have been using them up. Guess I will need to buy a stock of new ones if this keeps up or torch the heck out of them. Thanks for posting about the heat, I might try that next time before the extractor, as that ruins the inside low pressure sealing surface.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Well, I called Cat and they said nothing has changed. Must have had a string of bad luck lately. A couple of them literally sheared the brass tabs right off. They did say they get some in that they have the same issue with, but it isn't related to a thread compound.