What's new

Cars Climbing Conveyer Rail

Etowah

iwashcars

Reaction score
I have been having an ongoing problem with certain suv's & minivans climbing the inside rail of the conveyor. It always happens in the exact same spot and it is always an suv or minivan. Most often it happens with Honda Odyssey';s and Mercedes ML's. Can't seem to figure out why it is happening and I know it is not the customer's fault. Not sure if the conveyor is not pitched properly in that spot or the rollers or wearing out and pushing the cars to the right.
It is a rear wheel push conveyor. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
What kind of condition is the concrete floor on the passenger side area where you are having problems? If there is a rough spot of floor or grooves that could cause this problem. Also if there is a brush or other piece of equipment that is out of adjustment and is dragging the vehicle to the passenger side?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I rarely, rarely, rarely have an issue but had a Honda Odyssey the other day (also rear wheel push) Usualy I like to check the tire air pressure and drive it a few feet to see if it's pulling. I don't believe in coincidences.

iwashcars

Reaction score
What kind of condition is the concrete floor on the passenger side area where you are having problems? If there is a rough spot of floor or grooves that could cause this problem. Also if there is a brush or other piece of equipment that is out of adjustment and is dragging the vehicle to the passenger side?
The concrete is definitely uneven on the passenger side as some patch work has been done over the years. Not sure if the concrete is too low or too high in that particular spot. On a rear wheel push is the passenger side supposed to be higher or lower than the driver side?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
It needs to be lower. My wash is over 50 years old and I have steel plates on the passenger side concrete to help cars track correctly.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Vehicles mentioned are pretty heavy, close to 2.5 tons.

So, it might be a broken weld or cracked anchor bolt that’s allowing the conveyor track to flex enough so the vehicle’s tire strays and then climbs.

iwashcars

Reaction score
Vehicles mentioned are pretty heavy, close to 2.5 tons.

So, it might be a broken weld or cracked anchor bolt that’s allowing the conveyor track to flex enough so the vehicle’s tire strays and then climbs.
Robert
Is it possible that the conveyer was installed slightly lower in one section causing the vehicles to climb the track?
Paul

MEP001

Reaction score
If it is, you should be able to see it. Stop at WalMart and get a $5 laser pointer, set it on something at one end pointing at a spot at the same height at the other end, then walk along with a measuring tape and check the height of the beam off the floor every few feet.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Is it possible that the conveyer was installed slightly lower in one section causing the vehicles to climb the track?”

Yes, it’s possible but if the carwash is old, I doubt it. Otherwise, this problem would have occurred previously. The laser pointer is a great idea to check the floor.

Most of the old timers made sure the concrete was poured correctly and took great care when laying in the trench and installing conveyor.

When cars begin to crawl up the side rail with increasing frequency it is usually a sign of old age and time to replace.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have a worn floor at some places and long ago put 24" wide stell diamond plate down the length of the tunnel where passenger tires roll.

Some places originaly had drag chain conveyors so the floors had a greater uphill slope. Different than how they are poured now.

Replacement conveyors have now been installed with the conveyor even higher than prior conveyors and cars seem to track better. Not sure if before they were 1" higher and now it's 2" . I will check.

If your issue is in the same area. Walk on the conveyor and see if yhere is any give or bounce. Should not be.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

When cars begin to crawl up the side rail with increasing frequency it is usually a sign of old age and time to replace.
What would that be. From 1 in 50,00o to 1 in 40,000 or what?

State Farm is trying to sue me now for one. Van - had 15PSI in LF tire and 60PSI in right Front. One of the first things I check. His fiberglas running board broke. Took photos. Rust holes at rocker panels where they meet running board literaly big enoug to put fist thru. Reapirs were about $2500. About the same as the Blue Book. We'll see if they pursue and what judge says if they do!