What's new

Carpet shampoo issue

Eric H

Reaction score
I have a Fragramatics stand alone carpet machine that is giving me issues. I can’t get the chemical to draw and it seems like it is actually pushing air all the way to the bottle. I have a new hose and brush assembly, new tube in the peristaltic pump, and née pickup tube in the chemical. I’m not sure there are any parts left to replace! Anyone have some suggestions?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
The tubes in the pumps are different inside diameter with the spot remover being smaller. Normally the rollers keep the tube pinched 100% and prevent backflow. Did you fr use the correct tubing and put them in the correct pumps?

Eric H

Reaction score
I thought the pump tube was bad so that’s the first thing I replaced. The replacement was one I bought a few years ago. It didn’t fix the problem so I bought a new tube...still no improvement.
I had a new pickup tube and foot valve in stock so I put that in...not change.
I took the head apart and the little foam insert was dissolved to almost mother so I ordered a replacement along with a new hose to replace the dry rotted hose. STILL NO CHANGE!!!
I think I’ve replaced possible component by now.
I am going to call Fragramatics today if I have time.

MEP001

Reaction score
in my mind bubbles coming back into the bottle would be an obstructed air outlet.
With a fragrance machine it would, but with a shampoo unit the air shouldn't be able to get back through the pump. I suspect either the rollers or the tubing in one of the pumps is the wrong size.

Eric H

Reaction score
I suspect either the rollers or the tubing in one of the pumps is the wrong size.
Rollers are the only thing I haven’t replaced. Neither the shampoo pump non the abandoned spot remover pump will produce any foam.
(The spot remover pump Is abandoned because the hose assembly only comes with an air hose and a single chemical hose.)

MEP001

Reaction score
What's the history? Did it work at some point and then quit working? Maybe try blowing air through the chemical line. Does any air come out through the brush?

Eric H

Reaction score
air does come out the brush head but also seems to go back up the chemical line all the way to the gallon jug of shampoo.
I installed this machine in 2004. Refurbished it once since then. A few weeks ago the chemical flow got very weak. I started looking into it and thought the pump tube probably needed to be replaced. I had one in stock so I installed it but no change in flow. I had a pickup tube, cap and footvalve in my truck so I put that in, no improvement. I ordered and installed a new pump tube with the thought that the spare one I had installed wasn’t the correct one, no improvement. I checked the foam block in the brush head and it appeared there was a foam insert in the nylon block that had deteriorated so I ordered and installed an entire hose and head assembly today. No change. I have replaced every major component at this point and except the rollers in the pump...
I absolutely HATE throwing parts at a problem without knowing what the cause is!

MEP001

Reaction score
In your picture you have the liquid going through the spot remover pump. That pump has smaller rollers meant for the thicker wall tubing. You might try swapping the roller from the bottom pump. There's a retainer that you can spread a little then pop to the back, then it slips right off the shaft, then you click the retainer back in place after you swap it.

The air should not be able to push back through the pump if the foam head is working properly. FWIW I got one once that wasn't drilled all the way through on one of the ports.

Jonson88NC

Reaction score
Since it seems that all other components have been replaced or verified, it might be worthwhile to pay particular attention to the pump and the air outlet. You could try replacing or examining the rollers and tubes within the pumps as suggested by MEP001 and check if the air outlet is obstructed as suggested by Greg Pack.

Also, since air is observed to be coming out of the brush head, it's also worth considering if there is a problem with the brush head assembly itself, such as a faulty valve that's allowing air to flow backward.

Lastly, ensure all the parts replaced are compatible and installed correctly. Misalignment or incompatible parts can often create problems not easily detected.