What's new

Carolina Pride exhorbitant freight charges

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I've been a regular customer of Carolina Pride, have invested in 3 of their self serve systems for different wash locations I own. They have good equipment, and for the most part require very little maintenance. Recently I noticed when buying CP specific parts from them, they tend to over inflate the freight charges on all shipments. I asked their parts manager about it, and he said they have a $7 Handling fee that gets added to all shipments. Despite the fact they charge top $ for their parts.

Recently I ordered some Legris push connector parts from them for the weep systems on one unit. The box that was shipped weighed 1lb, and was 4" x 3" x 2". I was charged $25.72 for UPS standard delivery. I took the same box to my local UPS store and had them quote me the cost to ship it back to Carolina Pride. My cost was $12.26, and I don't get any sort of discount like they would.

Why would a company, who sells very expensive equipment and parts think it's acceptable to screw over their long term customers by doubling the freight costs on every shipment they make?

99Roadking

Reaction score
I've been a regular customer of Carolina Pride, have invested in 3 of their self serve systems for different wash locations I own. They have good equipment, and for the most part require very little maintenance. Recently I noticed when buying CP specific parts from them, they tend to over inflate the freight charges on all shipments. I asked their parts manager about it, and he said they have a $7 Handling fee that gets added to all shipments. Despite the fact they charge top $ for their parts.

Recently I ordered some Legris push connector parts from them for the weep systems on one unit. The box that was shipped weighed 1lb, and was 4" x 3" x 2". I was charged $25.72 for UPS standard delivery. I took the same box to my local UPS store and had them quote me the cost to ship it back to Carolina Pride. My cost was $12.26, and I don't get any sort of discount like they would.

Why would a company, who sells very expensive equipment and parts think it's acceptable to screw over their long term customers by doubling the freight costs on every shipment they make?
I was using them as well for some service and noticed an outrageous trip charge even though it would be on days they were to be in my area. After checking with some other operators they were also charging them the same high trip charge. I can understand the TC if they come up for you specifically on a day that they arent in your area.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
We're just a bunch of old men screaming for prices the way we used to be. :)

If your cost of a stock guy is $20/hr and it takes him 10 minutes to pull, package and ship a $10 part you've probably lost money.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
We're just a bunch of old men screaming for prices the way we used to be. :)

If your cost of a stock guy is $20/hr and it takes him 10 minutes to pull, package and ship a $10 part you've probably lost money.
Then it should be listed as shipping and "handling". It really sticks in my craw when someone charges me $21 "shipping" when I just sent that exact coin acceptor to them a week ago for $6.95.

And furthermore...10 minutes at $20 per hour is $3.33. That would be a reasonable handling charge. And while I'm on this rant, why doesn't the local NAPA charge me for looking up my parts and pulling them off the shelf?

MEP001

Reaction score
And while I'm on this rant, why doesn't the local NAPA charge me for looking up my parts and pulling them off the shelf?
Those guys don't make anywhere near $20 an hour, and the markup on auto parts in stores, especially NAPA, is insane. I can get the same quality part from rockauto.com for about half the price of NAPA, including shipping.

mac

Reaction score
It seems rampant throughout the industry. It is basically done by people who are simply not good at business. I recently ordered a part from a local service company and knew their service guy was within 5 miles of my wash. I was charged $62 for delivery. The best way to confront this is simply to post the info here and let others know.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I wonder how many of us have UPS &/or Fedex accounts? I am glad that conscientious lady UPS driver about 17 years ago talked me into setting up a UPS acct way back then. There have been a few times where we have saved by having it billed to our account. Then for sure potential extra charges for "handling" would be known rather than hidden like I.B. Washincars mentioned. I am not sure what percentage companies allow for buyers to do that. Like Greg Pack mentioned ... there are times where USPS makes the most sense. We have a USPS acct set up also.

Usually a person can see if they can save as long as they get the poundage of the shipment from the seller since the box size is less relevant.

I am not sure if sellers get tiered discounts on shipping that they can pass along to their customers.

OurTown

Reaction score
Usually a person can see if they can save as long as they get the poundage of the shipment from the seller since the box size is less relevant.

Actually UPS adds "weight" to "oversized" packages.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I was charged $35 yesterday at a UPS Store to ship 2 Mars validators in NC to Charlotte for repair within my own state it was UPS standard ground. So $25 shipping for Carolina pride to ship something out of the state sounds normal In all honesty. I just wouldn’t call them for a push lock type fitting part unless it was proprietary.

Randy

Reaction score
I tell my validator customers to use USPS Priority mail. You can get 2 Mars validators into a USPS Medium Flat rate box. Remove the bill box, the bezel and 2 Mars validators will fit nicely into the Medium Flat rate box. It’ll only cost you $15.05. The Hamilton validators will also fit into the Medium Flat rate. I don’t know why more companies don’t ship by Priority mail in the flat rate boxes. We ship very little by UPS anymore.

MEP001

Reaction score
I was charged $35 yesterday at a UPS Store to ship 2 Mars validators in NC to Charlotte for repair within my own state it was UPS standard ground. So $25 shipping for Carolina pride to ship something out of the state sounds normal In all honesty. I just wouldn’t call them for a push lock type fitting part unless it was proprietary.
FWIW you'll pay twice at a UPS store what you will with a basic UPS online account, which you can sign up for free.