What's new

Card Reader not releasing cards

Shorco1

Reaction score
Bob Krist. The card reader is not releasing the card. Needlenose plyers are needed to get the card out of the validator. I can understand failure but the Goldlines are around 3 years old. I've had two failures on two Goldlines. This failure is on the newest and least used reader. Is this a product problem and if so have you corrected the defect? The people painic because they can't leave the location for fear of someone stealing card. Can the reader be rebuilt?

soapy

Reaction score
I posted about this a while back on the old forum. WHat is happening is there is a small finger at the back of the card reader that acts as a stop when the card is slid into the reader. Over time the end of the finger gets worn and creates a taper. As the card gets slid in it hits the taper and the card gets wedged between the finger and back of the reader. You can replace the reader or you can take the reader out and take it apart and gently file the finger stop square again so the card will not wegde into the slot. TO take the reader apart take it out of the goldline then loosen the brass secrews that hold the 2 halves of the reader together. You will see the small black plastic stop at the back of the card path. File it square again or add some hard epoxy to the end of it so that when the 2 halves are put back together the card can not slide past the stop.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Hi Soapy, I asked Randy what could be done to fix the problem. His anwswer, buy another. ): I have the reader I replaced and I'll take it apart and file the fingers. Thanks for the infor. I'll let you know if I succeed. Are you in Vegas for KleenRite?

Ken

soapy

Reaction score
I had planned on going to the kleenrite show but had something come up. I keep a couple of spare credit card reader around. It seems like the newer ones are lasting longer.

Bob Krist

Hamilton Mfg. Corp.
Reaction score
Ken -

Soapy provided the same solution for you that I would've...

The customers that are swiping their card in and out of the reader "aggressively", bascially jamming the card into the reader, are typically the ones that are getting their card stuck.

We contacted Neuron about this and they have since made a modification to this stop, it appears that they've doubled its height. I don't have an exact date, but I believe it was sometime in 2007, all readers of that style leaving Hamilton have this modification.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Thanks very much Bob. I'll have Randy delay the order until the new and improved reader is available. In the meantime I'll do some sugery on the defective reader.

Bob Krist

Hamilton Mfg. Corp.
Reaction score
Ken -

The card readers are available now.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fixed this problem on a rainy day

On my 2 year old Goldline. I had had just about as many calls after hours that I could take from panicked customers with stuck cards.

Honestly I think that this is a poor design that Hamilton should remedy and maybe they have and I missed that info. The tab should be hardened steel, not plastic, for what it does and for what we $$$pay$$$ for these machines!!!

Alas, I disassembled , my colleague Great Scott formulated a 'tab extension' out of a small section of plastic razor blade and he glued it in place using special 2-part, plastic- only super glue. The regular super glue wouldn't dry!

It's back together and our fingers are crossed that our stuck card days are over, at least for now!:D

Rudy

Reaction score
I have repaired my own card reader's in the past using QuikSteel epoxy. Like others have said, the tab at the back gets worn. By using a little (and I mean a little...) epoxy, you can build up the tab a little bit higher...... If needed, you can trim the epoxy before it completely sets with a razor blade.

Randy

Reaction score
I?ve never had much luck with repairing the card readers. The readers are a pretty standard reader in the industry and aren?t made by Hamilton. Neuron the manufacturer of the card reader has made some changes to the card reader stop in the last year or so. I?ve had customers use a hack saw blade to try and remove coins that are jammed on the inside of the reader by customers who think that takes coins. This cuts off the stop from the back of the reader. You should have the angle shim on the card reader. The part number of the Goldline card reader is 100-0119.

Etowah