What's new

Carbonite

MikeV

Reaction score
This was touched on briefly in another thread but this got me thinking....a rare occurance...I thought I would get carbonite to back up my computer so I got a hold of Carbonite and chatted (on line chat) with a rep. I asked , what I thought was a simple question. At first the rep didn't seem to understand my question and after several attempts to explain to her what it was I wanted to know...I found out that the answer is....you can't.
My question....If my computer crashes as most computers will do, and mine has done before...and I cannot go online ...how can I retrieve anything from Carbonite?
Can this be true? seems to me that when a computer crashes, you can't open anything, much less go online. If this is the case, whats the point in using Carbonite?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I belive the intent is to access it with another computer, or your computer after it has been repaired.

teamplex65

Reaction score
If your computer is damaged, stolen or “just dies” and you lose all your files, you can easily restore them to a new computer.

The key here is "new computer".

It looks like carbonite can do 2 things.

1. If you delete a file and want it back, you can restore it using the program on your computer.

2. If you computer completly fails you can buy a new computer, install carbonite, and restore your files that it continually backed up from the failed computer.

MikeV

Reaction score
That's not much help in trying to restore your one and only computer after it crashes, is it?

teamplex65

Reaction score
If your one and only computer is beyond fixing then a new computer will have to be purchased and you can restore onto that.

If its just the hard drive that crashes a new hard drive ($100) and a reinstall of the operating system will get you back on the internet. Re-install carbonite and move your important files back onto your computer.

jfmoran

Reaction score
So..

So, what if you're computer crashes and your hard drive is irreparable and you don't have carbonite backing up your files?:eek:

teamplex65

Reaction score
I think you know the answer to that question ;)

Even if you dont use carbonite I recommend having an external hard drive. They cost around $70 and usually come with a basic auto backup program.

MEP001

Reaction score
An inexpensive protection for files on a computer is to use two identical internal drives and a mirror RAID array.

As was mentioned in another thread, many people don't know where their files are saved. I've talked to a number of people looking for a file on a computer, and it's surprising how few can browse in Windows Explorer to find something. I always recommend using the "My Documents" folder for all files and backups. Rather than doing any type of full backup myself, I just back up important files manually, and when I need to reformat or upgrade hardware I reinstall the programs and copy the files to the new "My Documents" folder. It should be something the average computer user could and would be willing to do, IMO.