What's new

Car wash Water bill

Roz

Reaction score
When we had a broken water main underground you would see a large wet area when it was dry for weeks. It allowed us to isolate the crack to a 10' section but was still expensive to dig up and repair. Hopefully you have some building plans to know where the line is located, otherwise contact town engineering dept for a copy that was submitted to them when place was built. Some towns will mark your water line for you so you can focus on the right area. Your water/sewer costs per gal ($0.03) are average from what we have seen and we have a few locations. Lastly look to see if you have a weep system, perhaps you are constantly weeping all the bays all day long due to a stuck solenoid. It looks like you have several businesses on the same lot so your numbers may not represent just the carwash portion.

OurTown

Reaction score
They charge per 1,000 gallons.

https://www.marionva.org/clerk-finance/pages/water-sewer-refuse-fees

What if the auto and the self serve bays did not have any type of Weep-Mizer and were cranked up really high. Just one gallon per minute would be 43,000 gallons in 30 days. With $3,000 worth of business added it could very easily reach 60,000 gallons in a month. Where are the more recent bills?

OurTown

Reaction score
The reason I asked about your pricing is because if you have a water hog touchless auto that you are charging $4 for the bottom and $6 for the top washes and $1 for three minutes for the self serve then you might actually have some business there. (need to raise prices)

Timmb

Reaction score
What about the history from the previous owner? Did you see these bills before you bought the wash?

Kar B Kleen

Reaction score
You posted a Dec bill--how about posting your last one. You're in Marion, Va in Dec., it's cold. You may be weeping too much water or there's some issue with the weep. I would do as others suggest and look at your meter ASAP.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
So the water bill of $1800-$2000 a month fits the income of around $2500-$3000 a month?
Thats not what I said. Re-read the post.
Also, re-read the posts that are asking what your pricing is. And why you posted an old water bill.

I would say revenue is in the ball park of $2500-$3000 a month
So this whole thread is based on an old water bill and a guess at revenue, and no pricing or wash volume info.

There are a lot of people here who will give you a ton of help but the quality of that help is totally dependent on the quality of the info you provide.

Undertaker II

Reaction score
As others have said or asked why are you posting a December bill when you have just had the wash for a couple of weeks? In our municipality the water bill comes out quarterly. Did you have the water meter read when you took over or are you paying part of the previous owners bill?

soapy

Reaction score
If your meter is in gallon like Randy said fill a bucket or 55 gallon drum and see if the 2 numbers are close. I once built a wash and put a brand new city supplied meter in. My water bill was 3X at the new wash eventhough it was doing the same amount as another wash I had. I made them come out with a verified meter that they had checked at the main division. When they checked the first meter they supplied me it was registering 2.5 times the real amount of water. I had to fight the city to get back any of the extra money I had been paying for months and only got a fraction back. They could also be using a multiplier on a water meter that does not need one.

youngs premium wash

Reaction score
As others have said or asked why are you posting a December bill when you have just had the wash for a couple of weeks? In our municipality the water bill comes out quarterly. Did you have the water meter read when you took over or are you paying part of the previous owners bill?
No you are right! I was just basing my upcoming bill on the water bill in December. I'm only hoping that it's not the case and the bill just seems way out of wack. I'll know in about a month. But no I don't have to pay any of that bill