What's new

Car Wash 'Rules' signage

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I know this been suggested in the past and was hoping someone might be willing to share a picture or just make suggestions.

What I am trying to do is come up with a sign that essentially is a 'terms of use' that I can post in one or two spots on the wash property, most likely at the entrance and at the change machines. The customer agrees that by using our facility, they will be bound and held accountable to these terms.

I have been having way too many people lately do things at the wash that simply can't continue. Things like washing out 5 gallons of spilled paint from their mini-van or washing out a half a yard of concrete from a concrete buggy etc. These are all things that a regular conscientious customer would never do. I want the sign so that I can refer to it when I go to prosecute these people. As I've learned from small claims court, signs are invaluable!

If I'm left to word it myself, I may simply post 'No A@@holes , we prosecute', however I'm sure there is a softer way of saying that.

What would you include?

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
I've found that the challenge isn't educating people in what they can't do but catching them do it. I've thought seriously about posting signs for "regular conscientious customers" to get a license plate number and call me for a reward. Other than that, I rely on the surveillance video to find out who did what. That has helped on a couple occasions, but if the offender lives in a different county the local cops can't do anything.

There's a local small business park that has a sign at each entrance that says something like you want - I'll try to remember to get a picture of it for you.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Thanks Mep.

I have pretty good cameras, but am currently repositioning some of them so that I can better identify the vehicles and plates. For things that are obviously illegal, I have had ok results with the police. The big mess makers are another story. My biggest hassle this year seems to be people getting paint everywhere. In the bays, on the hoses, all over the vacuum islands and then of course, the parking lot and changer area from their shoes or tires.

I was thinking of having a separate sign between the changers that says something to the effect of 'help us keep our wash clean and operating reliably by reporting those who are abusing it. let us know the time, date, vehicle and license plate # of abusers. reward will be given if we prosecute, your identity will remain anonymous". Something like that might help. I also don't want to make it sound like I am going to have someone arrested if they drop a gum wrapper on the ground.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I've had a carpet cleaning business van pull in a bay and dump his water. I told him he couldn't do that and he replied it was only water. I said yes and it contains urine and bacteria that makes the pits smell and I don't allow it. I haven't seen him come back, but who knows whether he comes when I'm not there.

How do you post a sign that covers everything you don't want? They seem to keep coming up with new things to dump at the wash...

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz said:
I've had a carpet cleaning business van pull in a bay and dump his water. I told him he couldn't do that and he replied it was only water. I said yes and it contains urine and bacteria that makes the pits smell and I don't allow it. I haven't seen him come back, but who knows whether he comes when I'm not there.

How do you post a sign that covers everything you don't want? They seem to keep coming up with new things to dump at the wash...
I've had many issues with carpet cleaner vans. They mostly claim that they thought it was ok to dump the effluent at a car wash because the business that sold them the equipment told them to do that. Most of the time they don't come back, but a few have become beliggerant and demanded to know why they can't do it. I tell them it's theft of service and illegal (which is true). It's their responsibility to know the laws under which they operate, but they don't. I don't feel like that means I need a sign posting everything that's illegal.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Just an idea.

This is a "CAR WASH" therefore if your not washing an "AUTOMOBILE" it is not ALLOWED.
ALL PERSONS THAT ARE REPORTED or CAUGHT ON OUR VIDEO CAMERAS WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW!

We will not tolerate _____,______,______,_____,_____,______,etc.
We maintain a clean and inviting car wash experience.
WE and all our customers thank you for your cooperation.

I bet Earl can come up with a better wording.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I have caught people doing things I don't like and when questioned about it, they said that I didn't have a sign that said they couldn't do it. I always ask them what hours my half price happy hour is, and they can never answer. I then tell them that there is a sign in the bay that states that, so if they can't read that sign, then I'm damn sure you won't read the one that tells you that you can't wash the hair off your dead deer head! Don't waste your money on the sign....no one will read it anyway. You just have to not be afraid to confront people and track them down when you need to. You will eventually chase off the idiots and will make room for good customers.

Lighthouse.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The sign's real value is in court, the judge don't care that they didn't read it only that it was there. They all said that they didn't read it, and I just tell them that they have to live by it. I had a $50 cleanup fee posted, and I'd tell them that they could give me $50, or clean it up themselves. If they told me to get Fed, I'd just say "My brother is the judge and he always is tickled when someone tells me to get Fed. I don't think that you want to find out how expensive $50 can get". That is all I have to say. "Let me have the shovel please".

JustClean

Reaction score
In my SS bays I have a sign saying:

Leave the bay the way you found it: CLEAN!

Use of bay only while timer is counting

Only washing of cars, boats, bikes & caravans permitted - nothing else!
No BBQs, no oil or grease, no paint, no concrete or whatelse comes to your mind!

YOU ARE ON CAMERA! - Min. $250 dollar clean-up charge

But I am also looking myself for Terms & Conditions at the entrance that would help in court (like parents being responsible for their children when they get killed, etc.)

Tpoppa

Reaction score
GoBucks,
I hope you catch them. Some green paint dumpers have hit my facility also.

OurTown

Reaction score
Congratulations!! X2
The first congratulations is for your new endeavor.
The second is for 'resurrecting' a 16-year-old thread on Easter weekend. Miracles do exist. ;)

I think it is a 12 year old thread.

Etowah