What's new

car wash radio + car wash music

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting car wash radio at my wash. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a decent FM transmitter that would work with about a radius of 250 ft. I think that it would be something unique that could be offered to help advertise specials and give car care tips etc. I wouldn't want it to be all talking so I was wondering if you could list some good songs to play that pertain to carwashing. On a sidenote, you could also 'sell' advertising time to local businesses that buy tokens and use your wash. I don't know, just an idea.

Skipper Jack

Reaction score
The 1-watt transmitter from hobbytron is marked as export only, implying it exceeds the maximum field strength of 250 microvolts @ 3 meters. it is no longer as simple as measuring power at the antenna, because the transmitter and antenna has to be certified as a set. However, 1 watt is probably way off the limit.

A transmitter of 0.1 watts (100 milliwatts) or less is probably closer to the legal limit.

Richmann

Rich Mann
Reaction score
Unless you have an issue with AM radio, a great little transmitter can be found at www.sstran.com.

I've built and sold several and can attest to their quality and reliability. Mounted properly they can reach a 1/8 mile radius with a strong signal and with the antenna they mention on thier web site, a mile or more is possible.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I visited with an operator in Bentonville, Arkansas that has Happy Bays carwash. He has the FM transmitter and a light show on the wall that keeps beat with the music. He is a great source of information his name is Shel Spivey.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am not looking to do anything real expansive. I just want to give my customers a way to learn more about the wash and be able to listen to some music that is appropriate for all ages. If it ends up being successful, I would like to try and get some of the local businesses to advertise if possible.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Check with a local realtor. They have similar systems for "talking houses" that promote properties to drive-bys.