What's new

Car Wash & Ice Cream Combo Location??

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I currently have a 5 year old site with 2 IBA / 2SS and about 300 mini storage units.

I am considering purchasing another tract of land in a very favorable section of town. There are no IBA washes within a 5 mile radius and I have been mulling over this site for a couple of years due to the traffic count, rooftops, demographics, etc.

Since I'm constantly trying to come up with the next "killer" business venture, I've also become intrigued by some of the ice cream shops in the area. I feel like it offers a seasonal summer business that would offset an otherwise very seasonal winter car wash business in the NE.

Do any of you have experience in one of these combo sites? If so, any information that you might have would be appreciated. One question I had was around site design. Would you design one building for both businesses (there is one like this in our area) or would you build 2 distinct seperate buildings on the same lot? My plan would be to only have IBA's at this new location, along with a complimentary business such as ice cream, coffee express, etc.

I appreciate any feedback or opinions that you might offer.

Scott V.

Parker

Reaction score
I run a 1 IBA - 3 ss / seasonal ice cream shop up here in Lincoln, Maine and the ice cream sales are incrediable in the summer here. We make all the ice cream here on site and have around 50 flavors and they work great together. The ice cream shop and car wash are all one building

It also makes it great that there is some one always here to break bills 7 days a week from 10am-10pm. and when they have to come to the window 2-3 times they will get and ice cream...

Red Baron

Reaction score
Scotty,

I tried the coffee express concept at my car wash and it was a loser. Fortunately I partnered with a guy on a 24 hour gym in the same building and that worked well so he bought both. I didn't lose any money but that was more luck than anything.

The car wash coffee combo works well for others, but in this rural community I just don't think there are enough people who will pay $3.50 for an espresso to make it work well. I think we did most things right, researched the heck out of it, joined coffee associations, subscribed to the coffee mags, got good training, bought the best equipment, great and proven location, good employees, proven menu/prices, etc. Still, I was lucky to break even most days.

It didn't help that a new Sonic opened across the street the same week we opened.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your lack of success with the coffee venture, but I wonder if having something open on the lot might have helped your wash volume. Many years ago I ran a vehicle inspection station out of an abandoned auto bay at a SS wash, and even though on most months the inspection net barely paid my wages, having someone on the lot to monitor stuff and help customers doubled the wash's income within a year.

I would assume you had your coffee employees dedicated to that venture, but involving someone in a joint venture with the wash may have had a more indirect payoff.

Joe Gillis

Reaction score
The's a 4 & 2 in Englewood, Ohio that has an ice cream / grill in front that KILLS in the summer. Too bad they can't stay open in winter.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Dunkin Donuts is partnered with Baskin Robbins and here they no longer make donuts on site. The master franchise operates the Kitchen and delivers stock daily rerieving old stock. You only pay for what you sell. You only make coffee. Anyone thought of such an arrangement. Works better if you are in a cold climate for winter sales.