What's new

Car wash Code of Conduct

soapy

Reaction score
I was at the WCA road show in Portland last week on one topic that came up during a round table discussion was a question asking if anyone had put up a sign explaining expected car wash conduct for customers. He was wondering if anyone had done this and if they had any examples. No one had but all thought it might be a good idea. The closest I saw to this was a sign about littering with the local enforcement code. I think a good conduct sign in each bay would go a long way to prevent operator frustration. Does anyone have such a sign in their car wash. I think a few things I would like mine to say are 1. No mechanical repair in bay 2. Keep all debris inside bay area. No landscape debris rocks, bark etc. 3. No outside dumping ( carpet cleaners or dog groomers 4. Exit bay to dry and detail car 5. Leave bay clean for the next car. i do not want it to sound preachy but would like to spell out a few of the expectations we all have about our washes.

washnshine

Reaction score
I just saw a ss operator who had signs posted on the property essentially saying:

No loitering on property
No loud music
Police enforced

It was more eloquent than I just wrote, but his sign was aimed at keeping the wash from becoming a hangout.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is a good idea.

I have been bummed out lately by the level of rudeness exhibited by customers. The rudeness is in the form of:

1. using a bay without meter running while customers wait.

2. leaving a mess.

3. leaving too much trash behind.

4. asking for too much ( 'can i use your dealer plate for 2 weeks?')

5. scheduling a detail to be picked up at your work but when we get there you have quit and never let us know.

6. giving the detail shop 'carte blanche' when we detail a car then flipping out about cost afterwards, then returning a full year later to schedule again. No, sir, we will not perform any work for you. No thank you.

Kevin James

Reaction score
It is a good idea.

I have been bummed out lately by the level of rudeness exhibited by customers. The rudeness is in the form of:

1. using a bay without meter running while customers wait.

2. leaving a mess.

3. leaving too much trash behind.

4. asking for too much ( 'can i use your dealer plate for 2 weeks?')

5. scheduling a detail to be picked up at your work but when we get there you have quit and never let us know.

6. giving the detail shop 'carte blanche' when we detail a car then flipping out about cost afterwards, then returning a full year later to schedule again. No, sir, we will not perform any work for you. No thank you.
Welcome to the real world! People are basically just bastards

You'll never able to change them with sign. We looked at S/S car wash recently that was fenced and only open from 8am to7pm. At 7pm they closed and locked the gate, pulled all the money and went home. Came back at 7am opened the gate and filled the changer, it was attended during business hours.

jprb

Reaction score
I've been following and searching the "signs" threads and added ALL of the things I've found people have listed on signs. I like the "Customer Code of Conduct" idea!

Here is my list:

Notice
*No Dumping Trash, Garbage, Mud, Grease, Straw, Hay, Grass Clippings, Manure, Concrete, Gravel, or other Debris in Bays or on Property.
*No Truck bed or trailer washout.
*No Hand or Bucket Washing
*Bay meter must be activated while bay is occupied.
*Vehicles left unattended will be towed
*No Washing Engine Parts, and/or Allowing Oil, Grease, Antifreeze, Paint, or other chemicals into drains. It is a federal offense to pollute the sewer system. DNR will be notified of violations.
* Trash cans are for PAYING customers ONLY. No tires, household trash, trash bags, or large items are allowed on this property. Leaving items outside of the trash cans is LITTERING and will be strictly enforced by local police.
*Minimum $100 Clean-up fee for any violations of this notice! SMILE - You are on VIDEO.

Did I miss any??

JPRB

JustClean

Reaction score
If the customer could clean the bay without paying and NOT using this water to wash their car it would make things much, much better. I don't have the problem with my dogwash as the startup price is so high that all customers have plenty of time left to clean the dogwash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Did I miss any??

JPRB
No Body work
No mechanical work
No painting
No using FB to clean out truck beds
No defecating in Bays.

Or simply:

Inconsiderate, idiotic, and stupid behavior will not be tolerated.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I don’t know of any other business that puts out expensive equipment for the public to use and allows the public to come onto their property 24/7 without any oversight, no attendant on the property. With no attendant on the property this pretty much allows the public to do whatever they want. As long as there are people there will continue to be problems. You’re not going to change the public so you might well face the reality that they will continue to do whatever they want to do. You can put up all the BS signs, install camera systems, call the Police, try to fine them, but in the end they’re people and people are pigs. Then you have to look at the of the self serve carwash, public perception and the type of people that come to a self serve car wash, I can tell you it’s pretty low as is the class of customer.

sjb

Reaction score
For what it is worth... these are the 3 different signs that I have around the lot...

Every Step you take
Every move you make
We will be watching you...

Dance like nobody is watching...
Really!

Cameras and Drones in Use
Smile!

and at the bottom of each of those 2" by 2" signs it also says

Your friends @ Kirkwood Car Wash!

Twodose

Reaction score
How about "do not allow children to play with or use equipment." I have told many a child to not play with that, or get off of that, or if you can't control yourself than go sit in your parents car till they get done. I actually have that on one of my signs in one carwash.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
QUOTE=sjb;89445]For what it is worth... these are the 3 different signs that I have around the lot...

Every Step you take
Every move you make
We will be watching you...

Dance like nobody is watching...
Really!

Cameras and Drones in Use
Smile!

and at the bottom of each of those 2" by 2" signs it also says

Your friends @ Kirkwood Car Wash![/QUOTE]

LOL ... you mean those aren't just bumble bees flying around:confused:

Some might prefer ... "Credit Cards Only" & then add in fine print "the more access to info about you the better"

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
I am working on trying to make it sound as positive as possible. One thing I want to put at the bottom of the list is " Failure to comply could result in additional charges". Most cities have littering laws in place and I want to site the city law so it sounds official and shows that we have the law behind us. " city ordinance AB-1234" I doubt it will help with most people but it would at least lay out proper conduct.

LisaLyons

Reaction score
Soapy, Jim Coleman use to have a really nice sign for the "don't do this" I took a picture of it at one of their car washes. I didn't find it on their website, but they still might have it. They didn't have everything that is has been mentioned in this post, but it was a start. I will look for it and sent it if I can find it. They didn't mention my pet peeve, putting pennies in the bill acceptor....I could mention more but will stop there.

Twodose

Reaction score
Personally i don't think there is much you can do to deter all the aholes that will come to your wash and take advantage for 2 or 3 bucks, people are cheap and take advantage of any situation and will try and get away with whatever they can, i think all washes are under priced, there should be a cover charge of like $5 just to get in the wash.

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
I put signs inside my bay and outside...every time I think I've seen it all some assface raises the bar!! I now have more signs in production but honestly they do little more than let your good customers know that you're really trying to keep a nice place. I have a tandem SS, 1 auto and 1 petwash...16 cameras and I watch them from home and my cell when I'm not on site. If I see something I dont like I rush up to the wash and let them know in a friendly and respectful manor what I expect from my customers. believe it or not it has worked well. Granted I have only been open 9.5 months but every day it gets easier and easier to maintain. One time i took a snapshot from my cameras and put it on my facebook page with a $50.00 giftcard reward to the first person who could identify the 2 kids that destroyed my SS bays. about 30 seconds later I had the names and 15 minutes later the 2 kids came up apologized and offered to clean up the bay that I had already cleaned :)

WikiWash

Reaction score
One time i took a snapshot from my cameras and put it on my facebook page with a $50.00 giftcard reward to the first person who could identify the 2 kids that destroyed my SS bays. about 30 seconds later I had the names and 15 minutes later the 2 kids came up apologized and offered to clean up the bay that I had already cleaned :)
Nice move and great idea!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Posting the snapshots on FB also lets people know your watching the place. It will go a long way towards deterrence. The "Word" will get around...Great Idea!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I just saw a ss operator who had signs posted on the property essentially saying:

No loitering on property
No loud music
Police enforced

It was more eloquent than I just wrote, but his sign was aimed at keeping the wash from becoming a hangout.
washnshine & others,

As we are gradually increasing our outdoor lumens with our new LED 72 watt 250 Metal Halide equivalent fixtures ... we are thinking that it will be a subtle detriment towards unwanted activity on our lot. Just thinking out loud it seems ... both the police & other passerby cars etc will be able to see with more detail what the unwanted persons are doing.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
What sign do you think would attract more business?

No loitering on property
No loud music
Police enforced
"Don't do this"

Or

Open 24/7
We accept cash and credit cards
On-site attendant
24/7 video surveillance
Money back guarantee

Etowah