What's new

Car wash business with a Full Time job

Bluewash2527

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Newbie here and this is a great forum with immense knowledge about Car washes. I live in Houston, TX and I am exploring buying a self serve car wash. I wanted to get some perspective on managing the business while working full time. I have a job (~50hrs/wk )that I love and it pays well. I own a few Long/1-Short term rental that I self manage. With systems in place these properties do not require a lot of time commitment. I understand a car wash is an active business but not something that requires 40hrs/week.

As part of my due diligence, I was hoping to get some feedback on the following.

Can I run a car wash while working full time ?
Approximately how many hours would a 4-6 bay car wash require? 5-10 hours per week, 10-20 hrs/week, 20+ hrs/week?
Typical items that require time are (Trash clearing, Equipment maintenance, Supplies replenishment, Adding Quarters , Cash collection)
Can I hire an operator for all tasks except for cash collection?
For those who have an operator, have you hired them full time or part time?

Thank you in advance!

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Blue

Yes you can have a wash with a full time job. I own my own business (full time job), have a small portfolio of rentals, and 4 washes.

Of course the key is good people, which is the biggest challenge, at every job that can help you. At the washes I collect the money and repair the more complicated things like electrical and pump issues. My helpers do the trash daily, spray down the bays, fix leaks, replace hoses, guns etc.

As far as time commitment I would go by the wash your looking to buy in the morning or at night after a busy day i.e. Sat or Sun morning. See how much trash is there that will give you an idea of what your looking at. Also not just in the cans what's spread all over the lot as well.

For the washes I have a full time mon thru thurs guy then a separate fri thru sun guy as well. Yes this is not a passive income investment it requires time and work.

Best of luck

OurTown

Reaction score
If the wash makes a lot of money then you have more options to have employees or hire repairs. There is a lot more labor and knowledge than most think but will depend on how busy it is and the condition/type/model/brand of equipment. Does it have an automatic? Do you work or live near the wash in question? Does your job have flexible hours?

MEP001

Reaction score
I ran a wash for seven years while I also had a full-time job. For about three years I spent about 20 hours a week at the wash while I got it on its feet and really profitable. It was exhausting and I did almost nothing but work at my job (typically about 60 hours a week) and the wash. Having someone to keep it clean takes a huge load off, but I was really lucky with that wash that people just didn't make a mess.

When you get a car wash, the three key things to making it successful are to give lots of soap that actually works (No Kleen-Rite ultra concentrates), keep it clean, and check everything every day.

Bluewash2527

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Its encouraging to know that car wash can be ran with a full time job. Its not easy but it can be done. What were your main reasons to invest in a car wash over other options like Self Storage or Laundromats?

designflaw

Reaction score
It can be done. I work full time in IT and manage a small 6 bay ss car wash in Houston that is about 15 minutes away from where I live. It seems to be working out OK so far.

carwashlasvegas

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's great to see that you're considering buying a self-serve car wash in Houston, TX. As a mobile car wash professional, I can understand your concerns about managing the business while working full-time. Here are some insights that may be helpful:

1. Can you run a car wash while working full-time? Yes, it is possible to run a car wash while working full-time. However, it's important to have systems in place to ensure that the business can run smoothly without requiring too much of your time. This may include delegating tasks to employees or contractors and implementing efficient processes for equipment maintenance and supplies replenishment.
  2. How many hours would a 4-6 bay car wash require? The number of hours required to manage a 4-6 bay car wash can vary depending on the specific needs of the business. However, as a rough estimate, it's possible to manage a car wash with 4-6 bays in 5-10 hours per week with the right systems in place. Of course, this may increase if there are unexpected issues or if the business expands in the future.
  3. Typical items that require time Tasks such as trash clearing, equipment maintenance, supplies replenishment, adding quarters, and cash collection are all important aspects of managing a self-serve car wash. However, these tasks can be delegated to an operator or other employees to minimize the time commitment required from the owner.
  4. Can you hire an operator for all tasks except for cash collection? Yes, it is possible to hire an operator to manage all tasks except for cash collection. This can help free up your time while still ensuring that the car wash is running smoothly. However, it's important to choose a reliable and trustworthy operator to ensure that the business is being managed effectively.
  5. Have you hired operators full-time or part-time? The decision to hire operators full-time or part-time will depend on the specific needs of your business. If you're just starting out, you may want to consider hiring part-time operators to minimize costs. As the business grows, you can reassess your staffing needs and determine whether full-time employees would be more beneficial.
Overall, managing a self-serve car wash while working full-time is possible with the right systems and processes in place. Hiring an operator can help minimize the time commitment required from the owner while still ensuring that the business is running smoothly. Good luck with your due diligence and feel free to ask any further questions you may have!

Bluewash2527

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I think its critical to have you car wash within 30 mins from your residence and with a right operator I can have a car wash while working full time. I will look around the forum on ways to find (apart from loopnet) and finance a car wash but I really appreciate all the help.

Mdbordelon318

Reaction score
I ran a wash for seven years while I also had a full-time job. For about three years I spent about 20 hours a week at the wash while I got it on its feet and really profitable. It was exhausting and I did almost nothing but work at my job (typically about 60 hours a week) and the wash. Having someone to keep it clean takes a huge load off, but I was really lucky with that wash that people just didn't make a mess.

When you get a car wash, the three key things to making it successful are to give lots of soap that actually works (No Kleen-Rite ultra concentrates), keep it clean, and check everything every day.
What kind of soap do you use. I use kleen rite now but also looking for a better soap

MEP001

Reaction score
I use Scotch Plaid products, but I blend my tire cleaner, presoak, and foam brush soaps each with two of their products. If you want to stick with Kleen-Rite for their shipping deals, just get Simoniz from them.

sjb

Reaction score
AI@ work…?
Tell me this is a Chatgbt response…?!

On a separate agenda, what is your aversion to the Kleen rite concentrates…? my biggest is the snot accumulation in the low pressure tanks…

As for original question, does the dirt value have a higher and better use, or is it maxed out…
so many variables based on your local market, that you will need to assess…

including your own righty-tighty, Lefty-Lucy, skills and general know how, cause there are a lot of moving parts in these businesses….

You will need to line up local talent to keep it clean and thug free, and plan to touch it daily…

I hope all the chips fall in place for you!

FatSudz

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Newbie here and this is a great forum with immense knowledge about Car washes. I live in Houston, TX and I am exploring buying a self serve car wash. I wanted to get some perspective on managing the business while working full time. I have a job (~50hrs/wk )that I love and it pays well. I own a few Long/1-Short term rental that I self manage. With systems in place these properties do not require a lot of time commitment. I understand a car wash is an active business but not something that requires 40hrs/week.

As part of my due diligence, I was hoping to get some feedback on the following.

Can I run a car wash while working full time ?
Approximately how many hours would a 4-6 bay car wash require? 5-10 hours per week, 10-20 hrs/week, 20+ hrs/week?
Typical items that require time are (Trash clearing, Equipment maintenance, Supplies replenishment, Adding Quarters , Cash collection)
Can I hire an operator for all tasks except for cash collection?
For those who have an operator, have you hired them full time or part time?

Thank you in advance!
Hi Bluewash, I'm in a similar boat today - I am evaluating a 2 off market opportunities in DFW - did you end up pulling the trigger?

hedwigpong

Reaction score
Managing a self-serve car wash while working full-time is definitely doable. With your systems in place for rentals, you're already on the right track. Depending on the size, a 4-6 bay car wash might require around 10-20 hrs/week for tasks like maintenance, supplies, and coin collection. Hiring an operator for most tasks is a smart move, allowing you to focus on your job and other ventures. You could potentially find someone part-time and still ensure smooth operations. As for the cash collection, that might be a task you'd want to handle yourself for security reasons. With efficient delegation and a solid plan, your car wash could be a great source to make money fast without overwhelming your schedule.

Last edited:

karen batten

Banned
Reaction score
Running a car wash while working full-time may be challenging due to time constraints, but hiring staff or implementing automated systems could make it feasible. Consider the workload and logistics to ensure effective management.

The time required for a 4-6 bay car wash typically ranges from 10-20 hours per week, depending on factors like customer volume, automation, and management efficiency.

Yes, you can hire an operator to handle all tasks at a car wash, excluding cash collection, provided you establish clear roles, responsibilities, and supervision to ensure smooth operation. Ensure proper training and trustworthiness for the cash handling aspect.

The decision to hire a car wash operator full-time or part-time depends on the business's size, demand, and operational needs. Evaluate workload and consider staffing accordingly for optimal efficiency.