What's new

Can the 'rinse' setting be bad for your clear coat?

TheCyclist

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums. I apologize if this has been asked before.

I had a neighbor recently tell me it's better to wash your car at home w/ the hose rather than a self-serve car wash bay. The reason being the 'rinsing gun' at the self-serve washers are so high pressured, the water can ruin your clear-coat over time. Is there truth to this?

I currently drive a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, and the clear coat seems to be in good condition. I do not have a spicket at my house, so I must use the self-serve type of car wash or an automatic wash. Should I be careful when using the rinsing gun from now on?

I appreciate any help!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
No offense to you, but I believe that has to be about the stupidest thing I have heard for a long time:rolleyes:. Your neighbor washes his car with tap water, hard water I presume, and dips his sponge in the pail of dirty water with the grit he just washed off with the previous dip and says softened car wash water is bad for your finish :confused: Instead of getting into a huge debate about the benefits of a car wash as opposed to the "dip in the dirty water" method, I recommend a simple way to quell your fears. Look at the car wash owner's car whenever you are at the car wash. Our vehicles look like every other one on the road.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Confucius say:

"May the pebbles in your sponges be much smaller than the rocks in your head!"

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW if you search various car care forums it seems there are no issues with less than 2000-2500PSI. I doubt you will find a SS car wash with more than 1500PSI.

Further, there are also low pressure options at the SS wash. If you are in an area that experiences freezing temps they likely use Weep guns meaning liquid comes out but not at full force if you don't pull the trigger.

Pressure is also greatly reduced at distance. So you can hold the tip a couple of feet away.

So unlike sone units designed for blasting brick the SS wash units are safe and your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
No offense to you, but I believe that has to be about the stupidest thing I have heard for a long time:rolleyes:. Your neighbor washes his car with tap water, hard water I presume, and dips his sponge in the pail of dirty water with the grit he just washed off with the previous dip and says softened car wash water is bad for your finish :confused: Instead of getting into a huge debate about the benefits of a car wash as opposed to the "dip in the dirty water" method, I recommend a simple way to quell your fears. Look at the car wash owner's car whenever you are at the car wash. Our vehicles look like every other one on the road.
Except ours get washed more and are A LOT cleaner, with no damage.

MEP001

Reaction score
TheCyclist said:
Should I be careful when using the rinsing gun from now on?
The only thing you may need to worry about at all is getting under chipped or peeling paint. Otherwise, there's no reason at all why water sprayed at higher pressure than a garden hose will harm the clear coat. More than likely your neighbor had a car with a crap paint job that faded, yellowed or peeled and he just wanted to blame something.

My truck is 12 years old and has only been washed with high-pressure spray and never waxed. You tell me if the clearcoat is harmed:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't you guys go anywhere? I retired my 99 Dodge 4 1/2 years ago with 256K. I replaced it with a new 08 F-250 which now has 103K. Heck, if I weren't going to drive any more than that I'd just ride a bike :D

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
Don't you guys go anywhere? I retired my 99 Dodge 4 1/2 years ago with 256K. I replaced it with a new 08 F-250 which now has 103K. Heck, if I weren't going to drive any more than that I'd just ride a bike :D
I did enough driving while I was a service tech, I figure around 700,000 miles in ten years.

I "retired" my '93 Chevy fullsize at 300,000 miles.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
The only thing you may need to worry about at all is getting under chipped or peeling paint. Otherwise, there's no reason at all why water sprayed at higher pressure than a garden hose will harm the clear coat. More than likely your neighbor had a car with a crap paint job that faded, yellowed or peeled and he just wanted to blame something.

My truck is 12 years old and has only been washed with high-pressure spray and never waxed. You tell me if the clearcoat is harmed:

Impressive truck. I was more impressed that you were able to post a photo of it inside the thread!

Etowah