What's new

Can I swap out Blendco soaps and use Kleenrite instead?

CentralTex

Reaction score
I'm a newbie so don't laugh at the questions (please :) ). A sister company has a self serve with Hanna equipment. They use Blendco soaps in 6 gallon containers. We also have another car wash where we are using Kleenrite soaps in 5 gallon containers. It seems as if the prices we pay for Blendco are quite higher on a per gallon basis than Kleenrite. Is there any reason from an equipment perspective I couldn't change to Kleenrite from Blendco? Would I cause any damage to the Hanna equipment if I changed soaps? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

washnshine

Reaction score
I'm a newbie so don't laugh at the questions (please :) ). A sister company has a self serve with Hanna equipment. They use Blendco soaps in 6 gallon containers. We also have another car wash where we are using Kleenrite soaps in 5 gallon containers. It seems as if the prices we pay for Blendco are quite higher on a per gallon basis than Kleenrite. Is there any reason from an equipment perspective I couldn't change to Kleenrite from Blendco? Would I cause any damage to the Hanna equipment if I changed soaps? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
No problem doing that - the equipment and chemical you use are totally interchangeable - nothing will get damaged. Just keep in mind it isn’t a simple trade from one pail to the other. There will be different concentrations, dilutions and titrations required for the new chemicals. It will involve tweaking your metering tips, mixing etc. to properly use the new chemicals at the required strength. If you are totally new at this, it might help to have someone help you to set this up and get it dialed in.

MEP001

Reaction score
Blendco is a good system. Some of Kleen-Rite's soaps are laughable. Their Purple Passion presoak will bead on a dirty car. Straight from their site: "Its neutral pH formula quickly removes tough dirt, grease, bugs, brake dust, and more." It's just scent, color, and a bit of foam. You should be thinking of switching your sister company to something better.

CentralTex

Reaction score
MEP, appreciate the insight. The Blendco prices differences range from $6 per gallon to $10 gallon higher. That is quite a difference. Kleenrite seems to be working fine for us at the other location. Comparatively, no one is complaining about the Blendco either, except for me regarding cost and shipping. We will see.

MEP001

Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick, but if you think they work comparatively well, you're pretty clueless. There is truly no comparison in how well they work.

OurTown

Reaction score
MEP, appreciate the insight. The Blendco prices differences range from $6 per gallon to $10 gallon higher. That is quite a difference. Kleenrite seems to be working fine for us at the other location. Comparatively, no one is complaining about the Blendco either, except for me regarding cost and shipping. We will see.

You might be using a lot more Kleen-Rite chemicals because they might be weaker in the pail. The cost per gallon does not mean much. How about the cost percentage of your sales? Are the two washes comparable? It is very possible to have a more expensive chemical cost less because it is so much more concentrated.

soapy

Reaction score
If you know which products to get from Kleenrite they work every bit as well as Blendco. They are not the cheap ones that most people buy but they will still save you 2/3 rds compared to Blendco..

Twodose

Reaction score
I used to use blendco in 4 washes, very expensive and proprietary, I switched to Warsaw chemicals and like the quality, service and price. JM2cents. PM me and I can tell you the dilution ratios I use for their products.

washnshine

Reaction score
It’s extraordinarily rare for me to use one brand/line exclusively for every chemical in the wash. I usually have a few that I use at any given time. I also have tunnels and self serves and there are different things that work better in each of those.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That's like going to a whore house and picking the hooker with the fewest visible cold sores.
No experience w/ those type venues, but i have never twlked to any ownwr who has used those products, that did not like them. Buy in September, when they have their Soaptember sale, & they are really cheap. Or maybe it's Oct & Soaptoberfest?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would encourage you to look at final dilution or compare cost as a percentage of sales over the longer term. Don't get in the trap of thinking cost per gallon or even dilution tip size is an accurate comparison. KR products work fine if what you're after is neutral foamers such as HP soaps and foam brush products. I really like the smell of their orange creme and used it for quite a while as an HP soap. Regardless of brand neutral ph presoaks, or tire cleaners advertised as working at 50:1 don't work well at all in my experience. I know we all want to maximize profits but you can lose customer loyalty if you start to pinch pennies on products.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another option that I have grown to like is to mix your own products. I feel that my HP soap and foam brush chemical that I mix using Simoniz powder and foam additive are very effective as high pH soap products. This has been very economical for me. It is a bit more work than ready to use products and there is no noticeable smell, which many operators feel is important.

I test them out frequently on my car which is black. My normal washing routine is to spend a few minutes on high pressure soap, follow up with high-pressure wax and blow dry. I do a little bit of towel drying but this gets the car remarkably clean without any brushing.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Another option is which KR products to use. I use their low PH product for Pre Soak and HP soap. Perhaps a little pricier than the SS Line and works great.

CentralTex

Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick, but if you think they work comparatively well, you're pretty clueless. There is truly no comparison in how well they work.
MEP, responses like that are what hold people back from asking for help - insight. There are a 1,000 better ways to say one soap works better than another without insulting the person asking the question. I'm sure your parents taught you better than that. And yes, that was dick comment,.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
.... There are a 1,000 better ways to say one soap works better than another
Plus as we know KR offers lots of variations ,(I gave up on the bay HP and PS but like the Tunnel Low PH for the same applications) So the OP might post what he is happy with.

csmith

Reaction score
I used blendco for a while and i just felt like i constantly had to watch it and it was super expensive, i swapped over to quest and I’ve been happy with it but curious what other chemicals i could try.

I’ve also got plenty of blendco chemicals that I’m not using if anyone is interested.... located in middle TN.

washnshine

Reaction score
I used blendco for a while and i just felt like i constantly had to watch it and it was super expensive, i swapped over to quest and I’ve been happy with it but curious what other chemicals i could try.

I’ve also got plenty of blendco chemicals that I’m not using if anyone is interested.... located in middle TN.
Quest makes good products.