What's new

Can I prevent Towel theft?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As soon as I order new towels for my towel dry station they begin to disappear.

Can I get some advice on a way to prevent or slow towel theft? I want to keep this feature because ultimately it helps loyalty and folks like it alot.

Save the smarta$$, :confused:it is Monday, after all.

THANK U!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
As soon as I order new towels for my towel dry station they begin to disappear.

Can I get some advice on a way to prevent or slow towel theft? I want to keep this feature because ultimately it helps loyalty and folks like it alot.

Save the smarta$$, :confused:it is Monday, after all.

THANK U!
If you think its a valuable service, than the cost is just part of doing business. Just asssume you are going to loose towels and don't worry about it.:)

mac

Reaction score
Good luck with that. It's the reason you see those hangers in motel rooms that are only useful in a motel room. How is it that stealing hangers is an issue, but the irons and hair dryers are not?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I integrate new towels into the used towels, perhaps 1 new for every 5 used, so there is never a stack of brand new towels someone can grab.

I have a sign that says "please help keep this service free for everyone-return used towels to this cart"

I sit out only as many towels I can get by with. I rarely sit out an entire cart full of towels. The more that are out there, the more customers feel like they can use (and possibly take).

In the end I lose very few towels. But I am in a pretty good neighborhood and I believe that has as much to do with it as anything. I actually have several customers "donate" their terry and surgical towels to the cart.

soapy

Reaction score
I dye mine ugly pink. I also put a sign on the towel cart letting people know of video camaras. I make sure the camaras are pretty visible. I still loose some but just figure it is advertising. In a couple of really bad cases I have called the cops and had the people arrested. If you loose less than $100 per month I think that is resonable advertising.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
$100 dollars a month? wow, i now budget $440 a month at Sams Club for towels...our neighborhood is one where they like to take the towels, we just figure it in as an operating cost at this point.

JustClean

Reaction score
Maybe a print: "This towel was stolen from XY car wash!" (that's what I put on my ladder that I give out to customers ;) so far it worked

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great ideas. I had a break-in last night so now I of course want more cameras and a new dvr. Oi!:eek:

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the break in. I read it on your other post. Call Galen, he'll hook you up with a nice DVR camera system. PM me if you don't have his number.

I agree with "This towel was stolen from xxx Car Wash". I was going to suggest just putting your car wash name on the towel, however, the other posting adds humor to it. If they are going to steal, they can at least advertise for you. Maybe people would make a game of it and see who all can "nab" one from you. Just think of all the people seeking your wash to get a great towel!

mmurra

Reaction score
We have the same problem. We recently placed a sign on the cart reminding customers that the towels are the property of the business and that we use digital video recording to protect our property. We have a camera at the end of the wash. This has helped. Mark