What's new

Cameras

Etowah

Detbjr

Reaction score
What kind of camera system do you use to pick up license plates in low light conditions? What locations do you mount the cameras (up high, eye level, license plate level?)

keep getting midnight dumpers but camera location and quality p

TurboJet

Reaction score
I’m interested in this topic as well for dumpers but also to learn about customer habits like time spent, how often regulars return per month, etc. Currently I have a camera that can pick up plates under ideal light conditions. But what system can capture plates and data log plates by time in and out along with vehicle type and color of vehicle like what toll bridge systems do. Anyone doing this? Cost?

Jim64

Reaction score
I can’t wait to see some replies on this, I’ve always had trouble with license plates. I have used HD cameras and HD monitors. I can get a good plate if the vehicle stops in an ideal location. Seems like my trash dumpers and my vacuum dirt rats always know where to avoid my cameras. I can easily get a vehicle make, model, and color but without a good plate picture my local police are not interested. I also would be interested if someone has an affordable and reliable system with good plate capture.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The most reliable way I've found to get a license plate is in the bays. The lighting is good, the car is usually going slow, and the tag will be in a very well defined area.

Randy

Reaction score
I can’t wait to see some replies on this, I’ve always had trouble with license plates. I have used HD cameras and HD monitors. I can get a good plate if the vehicle stops in an ideal location. Seems like my trash dumpers and my vacuum dirt rats always know where to avoid my cameras. I can easily get a vehicle make, model, and color but without a good plate picture my local police are not interested. I also would be interested if someone has an affordable and reliable system with good plate capture.
We use a IR illuminator here's a link https://gistgear.com/electronics/video/security-ir-illuminators

TurboJet

Reaction score
This came to me in an email (youtube link - explains it pretty clear), but this type of system is what I was thinking. Dedicated camera that can actually capture licence plates and log them into a database. Anyone using this type of camera/system? Results?

OurTown

Reaction score
This came to me in an email (youtube link - explains it pretty clear), but this type of system is what I was thinking. Dedicated camera that can actually capture licence plates and log them into a database. Anyone using this type of camera/system? Results?

Is it legal in your state to store them?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Why would it be illegal to store license plate numbers? They’re out in the public’s view.

In Ohio, there’s not a lot you can do with the plate numbers unless you need it for a police report. We can’t look them up and see who it’s registered to like some states can.

WashUp23

Reaction score

I have a Uniview NVR and at least five different kind of cameras with AI built into them. But I don’t have the LPR cameras. Great system!!!

OurTown

Reaction score
Why would it be illegal to store license plate numbers? They’re out in the public’s view.

In Ohio, there’s not a lot you can do with the plate numbers unless you need it for a police report. We can’t look them up and see who it’s registered to like some states can.

I have read up on it and think it might be an issue because you are tracking people's movements. Probably should consult an attorney before doing it.

TurboJet

Reaction score
I have a Uniview NVR and at least five different kind of cameras with AI built into them. But I don’t have the LPR cameras. Great system!!!
Uniview sounds promising as a brand. Does this extend to the their LPR cameras? Likely. Who knows? I think these LPR cameras may actually be Hikvision LPR cameras rebranded. Not sure. Also watching their videos you may be able to run the camera software using a laptop as well. Overall. For LPRs. I think support is going to be vital to get it set up. Intriguing tech for sure and useful for a lot of uses aside from security especially if you can track plates in and out. I can think of: how long on average are customers on the lot, how often do certain customers return, how many unique customers per month, track how many vehicles by hour or day of week arrive, vehicle type, etc?

WashUp23

Reaction score
No, they’re not hikvision. Nelly security has a great tech-support but I’m not sure if these cameras are capable of doing thatb