What's new

Cameras again

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I have read a bit on cameras off and on over the years but have not kept up. It seems that the "big box" store systems are cropping up more and more in the forum. Are they really as good of quality as others that used to be the "go to" systems? I need something with good quality picture, easy installation, simple to operate and good support. Any such animal out there? I hear so much about installation being a BIG hassle with connections and wiring.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
If you're set on a box store package, I'd look at either the Swann or Q-See on Costco. Re-branded Hikvision stuff.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have a 16 camera older Qsee system that I use for an overall site watch system. It covers pretty much the whole outside perimeter of the property and 4 inside cameras. I have that on all the time. I recently purchased the Lorex 16 camera 1080p system that a bunch of us purchased on the black Friday deal. I set them up in all bays 1 camera at each end and a camera on my clearance bar of my automatic entrance and on the exit. I use that to record any occurrence as that one I can get tags for anyone entering or exiting all bays and automatic. That is a 1080p system. I like the playback search and recording on the Qsee better then the Lorex. But the picture quality is better on the Lorex. I would assume the Qsee 1080p system would be comparable. I did see a Qsee 32 channel system at Sams Club Online for sale I was considering purchasing to update to one system but I kind of like the 2 separate systems. I would recommend getting a power supply panel panel box if your doing it yourself for camera power. Its way nicer to power all the cameras out of that then having 6 or 8 power adapters plugged into an outlet.

soapy

Reaction score
I also prefer the Swann software vs. the Lorex system. I found out that my HD Lorex cameras will not work on my HD swann system. Both give good quality picture in the analog HD format.

Randy

Reaction score
When we installed our camera systems we used all ball cameras, the bullet type cameras can be easily be pushed up or knocked down. The price of 1080P cameras has come down in the last year. We been buying our camera equipment from this company http://cctvdirectbuy.com/ A good 1080P camera system is an absolute must. We’ve seen it all on the cameras, theft, illegal dumping, vandalism etc. We have 3 cases pending now.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have gone in the direction of some power over ethernet (POE) 2, 4 & 5 megapixel cameras in the last year or two even though they tend to be a bit more of an investment initially. So far so good.

soapy

Reaction score
Randy is right, try to get a system with ball cameras. A couple of other places I have purchased from are Supercircuits and Securitycameraking.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
What about Carwashcameras.com & Kleen Rite? How are these systems?
Meh - Most of the cameras on the site you mentioned are cheap junk. Some look like re-branded Dahua's, which aren't too bad,

Look into Nellys Security also - they have GREAT customer support.

Etowah

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I use Alibi Megapixel/HD-TVI 1080p cameras and Hybrid DVR from: www.supercircuits.com when it comes to security I never go cheap even our Sheriffs Dept said I have excellent cameras with the detail I showed them, we could even see into the guys vehicle as he was smoking crack. Every incident we have had we caught the perpetrator(s) and they have paid for themselves time and time again, I know of one operator who went cheap and had damage to his equipment I couldn't even make out the person it could have been a bearded lady for all I know.

Last edited:

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Not in my area I would of shot it, and then mounted it next to my other kills such as Bigfoot, Tooth Fairy, Jaws, King Kong to name a few.