What's new

Calling for Flex serve investors.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
I'm going on a SCWA wash tour here in a few weeks. Just to clarify I hope to one of these days open a car wash maybe sooner if I win the lotto :). I've worked at many washes and been to the regional conventions since 2010 and have gained some knowledge of the industry. I've been fascinated by conveyorised washes for over 10 years.

Okay enough of the jibber jabber. I live close to what I believe are excellent locations for full/flex serve washes.

.No competition for 2.5 miles approximately.
.About 10-20K individuals in a 1 mile radius and increasing. As a matter of fact this area was once the fastest growing place in the US. And this year Money Magazine's 2nd best place to live in the US.
.50-80K$ annual income area.
.Located next to busy shopping centers of which have gas stations.
.Streets are 2 lane with meridian.
.Stop light.
.Highly visible from the street. Couldn't miss it if you tried. LOL
.I assume the Cars per day is about 10-20K. (Also is it possible to count cars in one hour multiplied by 24 rather than hire someone to use the run-over hose?)
.Also should I mention people in this area are vehicle guru's?

I think I've done my homework?

Based on what I've learned from experienced wash owners about the perfect site I believe I'm living next to a few such sites. I'm going onto the regional tours and many of those on these tours are either owners thinking of expanding to other locations or future investors. I'd like to talk to a few of those guys about the possibility of putting a full/flex serve car wash in these locations. I understand that car washes are such huge investments to be making mistakes. But again based on what I've learned and researched I believe these locations I'm speaking of have what it takes.

So how should I go about talking to wash owners and future investors? My thoughts are to take some photos of the sites and set the facts of the area down. As wash owners how would you go about this?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The purpose of this activity is to tour an area’s top car washes, share best practices and provide tour sponsors with a pool of prospective buyers.

So, I would not use the tour as an opportunity to learn about or conduct location assessment and site selection.

If you want to talk to people about investing in a project, you should be well prepared before the discussion.

You may also want to consider the possibility that those you speak with about locations and sharing information may decide to leap frog and claim the site before you do.

Place your trust in God, not acquaintances.

If you are thinking about testing the waters, there is a page with subpages on my website devoted to start-ups to help get the ball rolling.

http://www.carwashplan.com/start_ups

Hope this helps.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
Not trying to claim that site my self. I'm hoping someone else jumps on it. Never been on one of these tours before. I'm only 21 still maturing. And if I ever own a wash it will won't be for a long time. That's why I feel it's best to begin learning now so by the time I cross that bridge I'll be educated. But even that being said I see it a lot where car washes will literally build across the street from one another. Not I have no experience in business a while I know while car washes differ from other businesses in that they're usually independently run I'm not sure what the rules for wash build is. A wash across the street from another seems to me to violate the 1+ mile from competitor rule. And it baffles me how many washes can converge on one location within a small area when other areas in a region won't have a wash for miles even if such areas are well developed. Although again I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye. Certainly don't want to harass other SCWA members. I like making opportunities known.

Anyway thanks.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Just to clarify I hope to one of these days open a car wash maybe sooner if I win the lotto :).QUOTE said:
Good approach, because if you want to make a million $ in this business, start with $3 Million.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
Owning a business is never an easy ride through la la land. I see what owning a business can do to people. But someone's got to do it.

A little birdy once told me when your pile of money saved up is big enough that you can jump off and break your neck when all fails, you're ready to start a business. ;)

Funny a wash I worked for back in February owned by a new entrepreneur who's never owned or run a business in his life. In the 2 months I worked for him I could swear his hair turned a few shades greyer.

This brings me back to the Disney movie, The Lion King. Simba thought running a kingdom was all fun and games. Then he grew up and realised what responsibility it was all about. If that's a lesson to be learned, owning a business may not be my thing. I'd much rather be the guy installing equipment.

But most certainly it's fun to know guys who do run car washes.

Etowah