What's new

Buying car wash - need advice on confirmatory diligence

Roz

Reaction score
I read somewhere that SS average income per bay is $1500/month. That being said I have no idea how they came up with that number as there are way too many variables to be able to say that the number is reliable.

I know many owners who are lower than that number and a few that are higher. I think if you build a good experience for the customer your business will do fine.

tax returns as mentioned many times here are the only reliable numbers.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The GIM multiplier works for me as a quick sanity check. But it is more complex than that. In my mind higher grossing washes are worth a higher multiple up to a point. Id rather pay 1,000,000 for a wash grossing 250K than I would pay 180K for a wash grossing 60K. Alternately, when the GIM number greatly exceeds cost of new construction it gets worrisome for me.

I also won't pay a premium based on a wink and a second set of books. I got screwed pretty badly by a person I thought I could trust many years ago-lesson learned.

CashFlow

Reaction score
@Joswhaha

Hello. Is that 3 - 5x of gross for the business alone or for the real estate as well? I assume it's just for the business? Thanks in advance.

Roz

Reaction score
@Joswhaha

Hello. Is that 3 - 5x of gross for the business alone or for the real estate as well? I assume it's just for the business? Thanks in advance.
That’s for real estate and business.

Roz

Reaction score
@Joswhaha Thank you. Is there a rule of thumb for only the business?
2-3x earnings or owners free cash flow. Number can vary based on the equipment however be careful as few people ever purchase a carwash without the real estate. You cannot easily take equipment with you and it will be hard to sell the business in the future. Equipment has a limited or defined life expectancy too.

I suppose the only exception may be a location with a long term lease and options to renew. Get a good contract attorney if you plan to purchase just a car wash biz without the real estate.

Randy

Reaction score
Up here in the PNW the 3 or 5x gross multiplier is out the window. I know of 2 car washes that just sold for 8x gross and they are both in need a lot of TLC.

traveler17

Reaction score
Up here in the PNW the 3 or 5x gross multiplier is out the window. I know of 2 car washes that just sold for 8x gross and they are both in need a lot of TLC.
Send’em my way way Randy. 8x my gross I’m out 😬

Reactions: Roz

Roz

Reaction score
The cost of everything in the PNW is out of control and reality. Nice area for the outdoors but prices have escalated as people leave Northern CA.

Randy

Reaction score
Send’em my way way Randy. 8x my gross I’m out 😬
Most of them are no longer car washes. A friend of mine is under contract to sell his broken down ratty 6 bay for $850,000 to be used as a used car lot.

jubalr

Reaction score
Regarding the 'books', taxes and winks & nods for the income of a business, I assume the issue pertains only to the SS business? For IBAs Don't most teller machines give income reports? I can input a time frame and it will show me car counts, cash, credit, etc..