What's new

Buying a car wash. How much do I charge?

Jordanblackwell

Reaction score
Hi folks, I’m new here. I’m talking with a self-serve car wash owner about buying his business. There’s a lot I need to figure out, but one thing is I’m not sure how much I should charge.

The owner charges $2/ 6 min and 23 seconds. He said that he knows that’s probably the cheapest in town. He hasn’t updated prices/time length in nearly a decade.

How do I determine a fair price? Should I decrease time, or increase price? Or both? I figure a big draw for self serve car washes is that they are cheap, so I obviously don’t want to lose customers by charging more. But surely I can update prices by a bit. Any thoughts or advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
See what your competition is charging and determine if you think their operations are on par with what you are buying. If they are just be slightly less expensive.

Randy

Reaction score
Where are you located? Do you have any competition close by? If so what do they charge? The old BS way of thinking that if I'm the lowest priced and give the most time will bring in more customers is a totally wrong way of thinking. 6 minutes and 23 seconds is absolutely unheard of. It should more like $2 for 4 or 3:30 minutes. I'm $2.75 for 3:30 minutes, no one ever complains. Your going to have to start slowly cutting back on the time and raise the price to start.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I bought a wash 2 years ago in May. It was 1.25 for 4 minutes & some change & vacuums were .75 for 5 minutes. I did the usual replacing hoses, guns, decals, cleaned the place up, & got everything working. I’m now $3 for 3 minutes on the bays & $1 for 2:30 on the vacuums. Business only increased & money did as well. Also add a way to accept credit cards at least in the bays. Let people see you working to make the place better & just adjust the prices when you have. A cheeseburger is 3 bucks now.