What's new

Business sucks, so doubling down

soonermajic

Reaction score
Im gonna give free washes to all the nurses, Drs, 1st responders, firemen, police etc.... i figured there are about 500 of em in this town of 7500.
I think about 250 or more will come. As I was contacting them all day, I was pretty impressed how sincerely appreciative they all were. Im a hard guy, not very touchy feely, but I just felt their appreciation & it was pretty cool.
I'll let u guys know how it goes.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Great thought but how are you going to do it?
Tunnels are one thing but Self Serves are open 24 hrs. per day.
How do you define who’s who for a free wash? Are you going to be there asking people for I. D.- 6 ft. away all day? Hours per day?
As I posted before I’m not a fan of $1+ Promo washes and such but...
I would love to know how we could all do this together nationwide as something like “Car Washes Unite“ but have not figured out a way.
If ALL car washes nationwide could figure out a way to uniformly come up with a programI I think it would be huge for our industry.

washnshine

Reaction score
Im gonna give free washes to all the nurses, Drs, 1st responders, firemen, police etc.... i figured there are about 500 of em in this town of 7500.
I think about 250 or more will come. As I was contacting them all day, I was pretty impressed how sincerely appreciative they all were. Im a hard guy, not very touchy feely, but I just felt their appreciation & it was pretty cool.
I'll let u guys know how it goes.
Classy gesture, coach!

soonermajic

Reaction score
JimMustang, I am literally gonna have my guys work some overtime that day + I'm going to bust my own A$$,& be there from 7am --7pm that day. Gonna wear this 52 yr old out, but heck, it's only 1 day. We have 2 IBAs, & Mondays are slow, so it won't hurt our slowest day.
I hadn't even thought about it @ 1st, as I have no Facebook, but wife said have every person show their badge/id & make sure they all give us a Like/Comment/check in on our Facebook. After thinking about it, those potential 200+ people will give us more free advertising than I could pay for in a year.
I'm even gonna have my sister-in-law contact the newspaper about the cool thing we're doing. The local paper is STARVING for news right now, & GOOD news is almost unheard of. So, this may wind up being a HUGE win/win for the whole town & us !

soonermajic

Reaction score
Talkin to a guy today, & he said to deduct it off your taxes.
I asked my tax guy & he said i could only deduct soaps, chems, utilities. Anyone else disagree with that?

Doug P.

Reaction score
Talkin to a guy today, & he said to deduct it off your taxes.
I asked my tax guy & he said i could only deduct soaps, chems, utilities. Anyone else disagree with that?
Your tax guy is correct. Since you will receive no revenue from the free washes there is no offsetting deduction except for the actual expenses incurred by providing the free washes which do not require any special entry to deduct as you are counting them with your normal expenses.

Doug P

chaz

Reaction score
That’s an interesting idea. 125 cars in 12 hours in an IBA that’ll make for a very busy day...hopefully some of those customers will come very early to keep the pace going

Bob-O

Reaction score
That's a good ideal , but they do have a paycheck coming in, why don't you give a free carwash and vacuum to some of the people in your town that have been laid off, or lost there job. It might just make there day. And they will remember you helped them out. Sounds like your looking for free advertising. Also remember if your only doing it one day from 7 to 7 most nurses at hospitals work that 12 hour shift.
Just something to think about.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Well, 214 washes, @ a site that avg 48 cpd. Obviously most were free. The people who came we're so gracious. Many were from out of town, & prolly won't become customers, but that's fine & was also expected.
Me & my guys had lines from 6:50am ---7pm! Pretty cool day

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Well, 214 washes, @ a site that avg 48 cpd. Obviously most were free. The people who came we're so gracious. Many were from out of town, & prolly won't become customers, but that's fine & was also expected.
Great to hear it worked out for you. It was a wonderful gesture on your part.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
That’s fantastic.
How did you figure out how to get the Message out so the people knew you were going to do this?
Any thoughts about doing it later on?

soonermajic

Reaction score
I actually went to the 2 hospitals, 3 Home Healths, Police & Fire & Ambulance & spoke directly.
Wife put it on Facebook to.

In 2 more weeks i will do a free wash day for ALL Teachers, for Teacher Appreciation week (1st week of May) to. Being a coach, that one is very cool & fun to me.