What's new

Business Model

TheCluelessWasher

Reaction score
This gives me hope. Hopefully going to acquire a rather beat up 4 bay SS and 1 IBA with the thought of ripping out the IBA and converting it into a laundromat but keeping the bays. The location is prime for a laundromat but I think the double whammy would be a great fit.
I've had the same thought about converting bays to laundry. I imagine this could work but is very location dependent. Needs to be in more residential area with lower / lower middle income demographics? I know some commercial businesses use laundromats as well but I have to figure the vast majority of customers are families. Have you seen any threads or posts about conversion to laundromat you could share?

edredtop

Reaction score
An unmentioned X factor here is Kim's attitude.
Time and again when you read her posts, the joy, passion, and pride jump off of the page when she discusses her operation.

If Kim's place had peeling paint, graffiti, faded signs, duct taped vac hoses, leaking HP swivels, bald foamy brushes, "jammy" acceptors, unreadable timers, weeds, liquids leaking out of the equipment room door, poor lighting, pan handling transients, or pigeon poop in trafficked areas, she wouldn't be able to post a photo of her place looking like the entrance of a Costco gas line.
Your wash 100% reflects your attitude towards it if you've operated it for any length of time.

Jibbotson

Reaction score
I've had the same thought about converting bays to laundry. I imagine this could work but is very location dependent. Needs to be in more residential area with lower / lower middle income demographics? I know some commercial businesses use laundromats as well but I have to figure the vast majority of customers are families. Have you seen any threads or posts about conversion to laundromat you could share?
i don’t have any articles or anything but I have some connections in the laundry industry and they have seen it done. The location that I’d like to convert is right on the edge of a lower income neighborhood and is prime for something like this. My experience in the Laundromat industry has opened my eyes to the possibilities. This location in particular should be a home run, me thinks.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Yes, over the years I have considered buying it, but never had a good reason to. It's been for sale off/on the past 20 years. Originally, it was owned by the Neal family who built the car wash and gas station in 1982. The elevation is about 4' different and the 2nd owners put in a large retaining wall, separating our properties. The land and building is for sale at $800,000. The ground is contaminated from the gas tanks, the building is falling apart, and homeless are living in their cars. I live simply and don't need a headache. I've been in touch with the sellers, and it's supposedly in escrow with Dunkin Doughnuts to develop it as a drive-through. YAY!! I can always use a good cup of coffee and breakfast sandwich. I know my customers will appreciate it too!! 👍 :D Coffee and car wash - sounds like a great marketing opportunity!!
Dunkin Donuts is a good synergistic neighbor. I brought it up because I was going to suggest you buy the property, combine it with your existing property, and get an express wash approved on the entire site. Even if you had no interest in running a wash like that, you could sell the land/project to an EE chain, like the one with the duck, for a very pretty penny and retire.

No matter.

And FYI, regarding contaminated soil from former gas stations... the original gas station company that contaminated the soil in the first place is on the hook for the cleanup costs. I've bought two properties that were former gas stations long ago, and both were required to handle/pay for the cleanup.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Axxlrod, I appreciate your input. As stated earlier, the property used to be connected in 1982. There are 3 EE car washes within 2 mile radius, and I don't think the city would approve another. I'm very happy and content, running my simple and successful SS car wash. I'm enjoying my life, my car wash and not ready to retire.