What's new

Business Down Drastically

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Doug, if we were going to be around in 15 years when FL is suppose to be underwater, I'd bet you a lot of money that it never happens. Global changes takes 1000s if not millions of years, you get some rain and you think the world is coming to an end. When are you going to sell everything and move to a safer place?

BP. you got it all wrong. Doug is about 40 miles inland. He's bettin' he's gonna own some beachfront property before long. :D

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
I give some area of Florida less than 15 years Bill. It's happening already. Several hotels & condo are falling into the sea because of erosion and beach replenishment is too expensive, as the storms are stronger washing away more sand & barrier islands.

I'm 120' above sea level and the 2nd highest elevation in Florida for a city. It won't take 1000 years.... less than 50 for most coastal areas to have major problems (salt water intrussion, erosion, tidal flooding, sewer backup and reconstruction issue of sanitation lines). It will bankrupt entire cities.

But again, Al gore's an idiot and this is only a myth... and it didn't snow over 2' last night in the mid west..... hope those roof trusses are designed to hold all of that weight should it freeze and rain again... Ice gets very heavy!

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
doug,
since you and al gore know everything about the future, I'll give you 10cents on the doallar for your wash. get rid of it now and run. how do you live there, can you sleep in such a threatening environment? by the way what will be the average temp days for september 09--since you and al know what is happening 50 years out --this should be a snap for you guys. I am sure you also believed the planet cooling BS of the 70's.

Ted

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Doug I'm sure the state government in Florida will just add more taxes to the people like they've been doing to pay for all the improvements.
The cities won't go bankrupt the people paying all the d*** taxes will.
They can always make the whole state like Venice Italy, canals all over the place.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Doug, if we were going to be around in 15 years when FL is suppose to be underwater, I'd bet you a lot of money that it never happens.
"If we were of a betting sort (and there are some nasty rumors going around that we are), we would be willing to wager that the 10-year period beginning in January 1998 and extending through December 2007 will show a statistically significant downward trend in the monthly satellite record of global temperatures.
Surely such a wager should sound interesting to those who think the planetary temperature will increase several tenths of a degree during that period."

That's Ron Bailey quoting Patrick Michaels in this article: http://reason.com/news/show/124393.html

Interesting reading, possibly even more so that this thread. :D

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
obama, LOL.
Ah, you know what else is funny, most of the people I know identify which political party they belong to incorrectly, in other words they think they're a dem/republican when in fact their beliefs make them a statist or libertarian. Not many things more fun than a good political debate over a pint. This is one of my favorite sites for starting up a good debate. Answer honestly though, dont give the answer you think you are supposed to give. Think about the questions and the ramifications of your choices:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

Yeah, ok, I also like to provoke bears with my longbow & a sharpened stick.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Doug I'm sure the state government in Florida will just add more taxes to the people like they've been doing to pay for all the improvements.
The cities won't go bankrupt the people paying all the d*** taxes will.
They can always make the whole state like Venice Italy, canals all over the place.
Venice built homes on peat, floating islands.... 400-600 years ago or longer. Florida's coastline is lime stone.... what are you gonna do... float concreate block homes? The idea is that a major population of Fl lives at 3-6' above sea level. Our public works system is only 2-3' underground so the sewer can flow. a 3" rise in water table could potentially contaminate millions of square miles of land with E-coli. In the KEYS Septic tanks are becoming illegal because of ground water contamination, in FT Myers, Naples St. Pete, Clear Water, Palm Beach.... millions & millions of septic tanks will leak bactera into your... or my drinking water...WHO WILL PAY FOR IT?

And this is only one small issue. Lift stations will have to be raised to prevent the riseing water table from making them run all the time. fresh water wells will be contaminated. Channels will need to be moved by the army corp of engineers. Beach restorations, need levees or breakers, or jeddies as tides increase and sand bars move.

If you haven't noticed, Floridians have been moving out of Florida! Taxes and high insurance rates have been driving them away. This will force me, eventually also to consider moving. For the past year, the first time in over 50years more people left Florida than moved in. If this "global weather" change is really true, which I believe scientifically is FACTUAL, then HUMAN MIGRATION is what we are NOW SEEING AS A RESULT OF WEATHER PATTEN CHANGES IN THE US. Frist was 200,000 people fleeing Katrina in NO, Now it's people moving from high cost of living as a result of insurance cost and Hurricanie forcast in Florida and the treats of coastal flooding, salt water intrusion. In the High mountians, it will be the threats of wild fires. This will not be in "1000 years" it is happening NOW! Ask the people in Texas how they felt about taking the "refugees" from New Orlean's? Imagine 10 million displaceD people? What happens this spring in the Ohio river area as the snow melts? How many septic tanks will overflow in that area?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
This morning I remembered a patient I cared for in Bradenton Florida about 19 years ago, after a heavy storm or small hurircane. She was about 64 years old and lived in a trailer in Bradenton. After the storm passed, she hung her laundry out on the line to dry in the Florida sun, in about 4-6" of water standing in her yard (not uncommon here after heavy rains). A few day later she came into my ICU as my patient in SEPTIC SHOCK near death and on full life support with wounds from her ankles to her upper thighs from E-Coli. We split her skin and mucles like a fileted steak or fish called a faciotomoty to stop the muscles from swelling so bad that they were self distructing (a disease prosess called rhabdomyolisos that eventually causes kidney failure). It was awlful! A horrible sight to a lady who only went out after a storm to hang laundry.... but didn't realize that her, and the neighbors septic tanks overflowed with the rains allowing the bacteria contained to spread into the yard... and it got picked up by her toes & feet.

She lived... I had her for several weeks until we could arrange for skin grafts. She almost lost both legs. This was one of the first time I used sulfadine cream on a patient.

Some things, Patients, stay with me forever, their faces, their histories even sometimes their vital signs... even after 25 years! Thanks for proding me on... it was worth telling this story and thinking about this lady. Next time you walk through flooded water after a heavy rain.... think about her! And remember all those septic tanks burried around you have $hit in them waiting to escape with raising water and can not only contaminate wells, but infect people, like this woman and kill.

images of faciotomies (graphic):

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...sciotomies&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
obama, LOL.
Ah, you know what else is funny, most of the people I know identify which political party they belong to incorrectly, in other words they think they're a dem/republican when in fact their beliefs make them a statist or libertarian. Not many things more fun than a good political debate over a pint. This is one of my favorite sites for starting up a good debate. Answer honestly though, dont give the answer you think you are supposed to give. Think about the questions and the ramifications of your choices:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

Yeah, ok, I also like to provoke bears with my longbow & a sharpened stick.

according to that I'm right leaning Libertarian

BTW, I'm still voting for Obama if I get a chance.

I'm for the greater of two evils. Let's vote for the Jimmy Carter of my generation and get it over with. The political backlash in 2012 will be worth it.

Thomas3599

Reaction score
What was the question????

Yes when gas prices jumped 2 years ago I have seen business go down. Then after that a guy puts a new car wash right on top of me. He sells the equipment so get a good low price while I get to pay top price. He has put another wash in a few towns away that has 8 washes already. 10,000 population.
I would love to sell but to much dept. I was build and installing another auto when he broke grown on me. Thats business.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
That sucks and you should disclose where you are and who he is, this behavior should be made public.

Thomas3599

Reaction score
His name Jeff Adams from St Charles MO and now he has come south and putting up car washes on top of others. He is a very self centered person and greed will get the best of him sometime. But I don't know who many washes he has hurt. I have other properties, apartment and commercial property that are rented. I'm self employed with a Refrigeration company. I will be fine but its no fun breaking even when you have to spend time at the wash.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
according to that I'm right leaning Libertarian

BTW, I'm still voting for Obama if I get a chance.

I'm for the greater of two evils. Let's vote for the Jimmy Carter of my generation and get it over with. The political backlash in 2012 will be worth it.
Greg, I spent a few days in "shock" listening to Rush, Hanity & Coulter spout off about McCain being the canidate and how Republicans should either skip this one or actually back the Democrat to get elected. I thought "these people have finally lost their minds". But the more I read and hear about it... the more sense it makes. They need a target, a person to vilify to energize their base again... and nothing would do that more that another CLINTON PRESIDENT! Thik about it... Bill Clinton's administration had submitted over 1000 documents per day for 8 years of investigation after investigations! in 92' only 2 years after Clinton got elected, the Republicans took control of both houses of Congress! Could it happen again?

stranger things have happened... but I'm hard pressed to think that the national republican party is willing to throwaway it's chance at a run for the Whitehouse for 4 years and then fight an incombent President (unless they can scandalize EVERYTHING about that admin... which they did before but still lost to Bill in a second run). So it's risky.... esppecially in light of a future release of several films and documentaries on Republican scandles coming out this fall.

Still.... I don't like Hillary as my choice either, nor will I vote for McCain. So I'm hoping that (long shot here) Ron Paul runs as an independant (first choice) or that Obama gets the dems nomination without Clinton as a running mate (my second choice). Other than that.... were screwed! No laws, only signing statements, no congressional oversight, just a "trust me, the US doesn't tourture" then find out... hell yea we did 3 times... but sorry your honor, we disobeyed your Court ordered and destroyed the evidence anyway!

What the hell, I hope I get to use a defence like that someday (it's only illegal when you get caught)!

This Country getting crazy. What ever happened to just following the law?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
BTW, that test said I was a libertarian too, smack in the center. Other test said the same, except one put me as a "humanist" with Ghandi and the dali Lama!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
When it comes right down to it I can't see a conservative pulling the lever for either Hillary or Obama. They may choose to sit it out or vote for an indiependent if there is one but I don't think they would support the Democratic candidate regardless of who it is, especially if it is Hillary.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
When it comes right down to it I can't see a conservative pulling the lever for either Hillary or Obama. They may choose to sit it out or vote for an indiependent if there is one but I don't think they would support the Democratic candidate regardless of who it is, especially if it is Hillary.
Oh but it would sell a lot of books for Ann Coulter, Bill'O, Hanity and the rest if another vile liberal got elected! I can see it now. It's like buying a little cute chick for your kid at Easter (when this was common in the 70's) then rasing it....only to KILL IT LATER! What a plan.... I think I like it! Wait... I'm on the WRONG SIDE! Vile hateful people.

MikeV

Reaction score
Chelsea Clinton Interviewed a Marine returning from Iraq...she asked him if there was anything he was afraid of. His answer; Osama, Obama, and yo mama.

Etowah