What's new

Bushing For Boom Spindle

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Does anyone if a non-proprietary part can used for the plastic bushing that goes between your SS boom sleeve and the pipe spindle? I have Coleman equipment and looked at normal 2" schedule 40 PVC piping (both electrical conduit and plumbing) and it was not as thick as the existing bushing. I cannot believe that Coleman would set their own specs for this. Kleen-rite has this that looks like it might work:

http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-7278-bushing-for-kr-spring-boom.aspx

A local distributor said to look at schedule 80 PVC but I think I need to got to plumbing supply for this as big box stores will not stock this.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
The schedule 80 might be the answer based on the chart you supplied. Will check it out tomorrow.

MEP001

Reaction score
I think you'll need to use nylon instead of PVC for it to swivel smooth and not wear out. If you give the dimensions to someone who has the correct lathe to turn them out, it won't cost much.

Reds

Reaction score
Have you looked for oilite bushings? Mcmaster Carr has a huge selection of oil impregnated bushings in various sizes. What is the O.D., I.D, and length? Is it one bushing or is there 2 bushings - one in the top and one in the bottom? I have never had mine apart but they are starting to stick a little bit and don't always swing completely back to the side.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to check out the schedule 80 yet. I just looked at the oil impregnated bushings on the McMaster Carr site and it didn't look as though they had anything with a 6"+ length. I have heated these during freeze ups over the past 9 years and was wondering if that would melt PVC, if in fact the current ones are PVC. They show no signs of heat damage.

bigjws

Reaction score
I am resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone ever came up with a solution. I just got a new 'overload bracket weldment' as Kleen-rite calls it to replace a few that have been rewelded a few too many times -- the new one does not come with the bushing, however, and the bushings from the old one are a different thickness. New one is 1 1/4" OD x 1" ID x 5.5" long. Tried McMasters, but they said their longest bushing is 4" -- anyone ever figure out where to get new ones, and what type work best (nylon, plastic, etc.)?

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you use two shorter bushings?

bigjws

Reaction score
Sure… But I hate to piecemeal things if someone else had found a bushing that was long enough. That older bushing came from somewhere, was just hoping someone knew where!