What's new

Built in America

Louise

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this, Bill.

My husband is a contractor and he will be getting this list.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Manufacturing at every component level

Bill P,

I listened & saw the whole newscast link. I tend to be a bit partial towards Diane Sawyer anyway. Her optimistic tone had an encouraging sense to it.

Most people look for value. Of course new innovation is part of that value.

As long as your link & this post relates to manufacturing & the associated components involved..... here goes ...

Over on the CLA forum, I tried to make the case for the need for better coin mechs so that the coin laundry industry is not so brutally as far behind us in the car wash industry when it comes to the option to accept a variety of coins &/or tokens instead of being "stuck in the mud" with just quarters when it comes to coin acceptance.

One offshoot from the McCain-Harkin dollar optimization bill that I can see is to finally spark major manufacturing of a huge number of needed improved coin drops. CLA bonafide statistics show close to 40k laundromats in the USA not including apartment laundromats & are currently 95% coin. That is inspite of the VTM Card store option having been around now for over 25 years. Sure there is the trend towards CC use like in the car wash industry but it seems like neither the VTM or the CC is the best fit always. I can't imagine our car wash coin mech industry being totally blind to the opportunity .... once the road has been paved for the bill acceptors having $2 & $5 bills as being their lowest amount for acceptance.

Based on the above statistics of 95% of 40K ... doesn't this translate to thousands of worthwhile jobs related to components at every level of the manufacture of those improved coin mechs. Since we are talking about the USA ... is there some reason why the coin mech manufacturers in the USA would not be interested in this potential considering the scaling back of many in our car wash industry ... due mostly to the economy.

Compared to the self service car wash industry average of 4-16 coin mechs per location we are talking about 40-200 coin mechs per location. Has anybody been to IDX or any of the other American coin mech manufacturers & have a feel for the number of jobs that exist at present & that could be ramped up with a pretty sure bet diversification? Remember the manufacturers of the components of these mechs should also be included! Sure there are logistics but manufacturers nowadays have much better tools to work with too!

This diversification could also help the stability of our car wash industry it seems. If our specific manufacturers are healthier, that means our whole industy tends to be healthier & vice versa!

I remember spending time off & on at Specialty Equip & seeing their coin mech department as a large portion of their large manufacturing facility with many employees. It was thriving back in 1987. Now the large facility mostly just has weeds growing around it ... vacant ... based on the last time I was there about a year & half ago!

mike walsh king koin of bismarck