What's new

Building Electrical back panel

RAATCB

Reaction score
Hello, when building an electrical panel and mounting transformers, contactors, time delays, terminal strips and etc, do you use a screw with a lock nut on the back side or is it better to use a regular nut on back side and weld the small nut to the back panel? Or do you tap the hole you make? Back panels doesn't seem to have much wall thickness to tap I think. I have also seen contactors be snap on to a special unistrut to easy remove contactors if they go bad.

The problem I see when using a screw and lock nut is when it comes time to remove a contactor is that you have to have access to the back panel. But their are going to be many wires/switches in the way so those would have to be all removed before removing the back panel plate.

What is the best way to mounting method for these electrical controllers so it's easy to remove and install back if they need replacement? Hole tapping? Using snap-connectors? Welding nut on back panel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sparkey

Reaction score
I used to work in a panel shop and build panels for a living. Don't ever put nuts on the back side of the back panel. If you ever have to replace a device you will be screwed. Drill and tap all holes. ,most of them will be 8-32 screws. Better yet mount DIN rail if your devices are made to snap on to rail. Automation direct is a cheap place to purchase din rail.

RAATCB

Reaction score
I used to work in a panel shop and build panels for a living. Don't ever put nuts on the back side of the back panel. If you ever have to replace a device you will be screwed. Drill and tap all holes. ,most of them will be 8-32 screws. Better yet mount DIN rail if your devices are made to snap on to rail. Automation direct is a cheap place to purchase din rail.
Do the back panels have enough thickness to tap ? Is it secure enough? I found a greenlee drill and tap bits that do both at one time.

sparkey

Reaction score
Do the back panels have enough thickness to tap ? Is it secure enough? I found a greenlee drill and tap bits that do both at one time.
Yes, They are made to be tapped. In industry I have never seen one that wasn't tapped.

Snowkiwi

Reaction score
Again, you could drill the back panel and use "Rivnuts" to mount a piece of Din rail for easy addition/removal of other devices.