What's new

building a self serve system for myself DIY

jd05

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to build a self serve wash bay to wash my tractors and my equipment if need be here in a rural area where I live. I was thinking if anyone has built the wash part of the system by that I mean the plunger pump plumbing (I guess CAT pumps are the best?). Planning to add a 5 hp single phase baldor motor to the matching CAT pump via pully by matching RPMs.

I am confused about the pluming aspect of it. And since I am not familiar with these triplex pump units (Can they pump 1 detergent or more and and how do they automatically mix the right amount of soap etc). Can anybody elaborate?

I tried the search function for a diy self serve wash system but I couldn't come up with anything. Anybody willing to help? I will post this DIY project on this website for somebody who would like to build their own like me.

Questions:
1. Should I go with a 1200 psi or 1500 psi triplex pump rated for hot water for tractors cars (planning to run instant hot water heater in line)? The motor will be a 5 hp 230 v baldor that includes the electrical magnetic starter and panel box so Im looking at 4-5gpm. Also, what is a triplex pump exactly? I have a clue but don't know what it is for sure.

2. Low pressure and high pressure? How do you interchange pressure of the water when plumbed to a motor with constant rpm?

3. Any diagrams or plans one may have of their own wash system that they made?

4. Also, I would like to add more than 1 detergent injector so I can run regular detergent, degreaser, wax, and tire shine if possible. Would that require more CAT plunger pumps?

5. Are CAT pumps the best or are there others that have a better bang for the buck quality? Just heard a lot about them researching them.

I don't want a gas pressure washer because they are too loud and cost more to operate with gas costs and proximity to a gas station. Don't want an electric one either due to lack controls and gpm and cost.

Looking to spend 2-3K and DIY only.
The link below inspired me to take this project on finally after 1 year of thinking about it.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago133.html

Thanks guys!

jd05

Reaction score
Thanks Waxman. I've even checked Dultmeir sales however after shipping and upgrades the all get expensive. Plus I have a new baldor 5 hp pump that I bought for my spare air compressor laying around as well as aluminum tanks.

jd05

Reaction score
If I imagine it right, just need to buy a catco pump and pully kit, and can get lines locally. Wand I will order also. So I don't know but Im copying the diy from the link in my first post but Id like to get more familiar with this diy so I can do it right.

Randy

Reaction score
No I don’t think your imaging it right, there’s a little more to it than what you think. I’d call Kleen-rite and have them price out what a custom built 1 bay pumping system would cost, less the 5 hp motor that you already have. If you build it yourself you’re going to need, a stand, solenoid valves, regulators, and a whole bunch of miscellaneous brass fittings, don’t use any steel fittings.

jd05

Reaction score
Thanks Randy. Ive read a lot about you in other posts and I know you are the man! Yes I need the accessories but am hoping to build it myself. The solenoid valves and regulators as well as that kit is what I need as well as a plumbing diagram. I can pick up brass fittings up locally including valves. If I want to do it mechanically, as in ball valves I guess thats possible so I wont need a solenoid valve. I would love to go electrical on these things however I don't have any literature to build this by. Any help would be great.

jd05

Reaction score
Also, could you control the soap application rate electronically at the nozzle wand?

jd05

Reaction score
Looks like there isnt much literature out there to confidently accomplish this. I will have to buy a working system tgen. I will contact a salesman tomorrow. Thanks so much guys.

Randy

Reaction score
Another thing you could do is contact some of your local car wash distributors and see if they have anything worthwhile available. Years ago I sold a few self-contained single bay wash units like the Jim Coleman to local municipal shops and they aren’t inexpensive.

Darrell

Reaction score
I would find a car wash close to where you live, contact the owner and see if he would show you around his facility. Tell Him what your wanting to do and maybe he wouldn't mind showing you what all is involved in a complete system. Just remember that you might run across someone who doesn't want to help at all. If you could find someone willing to show you a pump stand and the plumbing involved it would defiantly help you more than just some diagrams of how it needs to be plumbed and wired .

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The second diagram by Dultmeier appears to be possibly identical to Randy's & 2Biz's pump stand approach. It does leave a person in the dark somewhat to the exact sizing of the tubing &/or hoses going in & out & also to the specific part numbers for the components.

Also, both diagrams do not have the soap & wax going into a specific smaller port. On my Cat 310s the soap & wax go into a smaller port which I believe is made specifically for that purpose. Also nothing about the check valves & routing involved for the low pressure items including the spot free rinse.

Mike

Last edited:

wash4me

Reaction score
Windtrax in Kansas City is a smaller company and will make you a pump stand after explaining what you need.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Why not direct drive or a pressure washer? Yes direct drive isn't as desirable but if there is a problem with framing the system or whatever?

Not my stuff.... Picture from ebay.