What's new

bug spray

Etowah

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a bug spray manifold mounted on the floor in my auto (softgloss). I have bought at least 5 solenoids for the thing. I don't know if it is the fact that I'm using a booster pump or the chemical but I'm tired of buying solenoids. I'm wondering if I could use my cta and that little air pump to deliver the bug juice. I'm going to use a presoak for both applications. Anybody have thoughts as to whether that air pump has enough ooomph to get to the windshield and whether there is a way to arm the bug spray function when they get on the pad?
Thanks

DiamondWash

Reaction score
What chemical are you using for the "bug juice" and what pressure is the solenoids rated for ?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm using presoak now but have used various products. I used solenoids rated up to 1200 lbs and the last 2 close at 0. It makes no sense to me but we can't find a reason. If you go into the bay it is squirting halfway down the bay.

MEP001

Reaction score
What solenoid are you using?

What is going wrong with the solenoid?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I bought two of the 0 pressure ones you recommended. Both run water in a stream all of the time. Each lasted a few weeks then started leaking.

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you checked the solenoids for debris or failure? Can you see anything physically wrong with it?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Yes. I have found no sign of damage or debris in any of them. My tech has looked at it a couple of times. It will work for a couple of days and then start to leak again.
I was just thinking that if it was possible to use the cta that I know works properly I could do away with the solenoid and the booster pump. I'm just not sure if I can get enough pressure or have a way to arm the thing at the appropriate time.

soapy

Reaction score
My setup uses a solenoid followed by a check valve and then a stainless injector. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with the solenoid. The check valve keeps chemical from getting to the solenoid.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Do you have a booster pump? I'm guessing the booster pump is the culprit. We are going to move the solenoid to in front of the booster instead of after it.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Well so much for that theory...
Any idea why I could be having so much trouble?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Soapy,
Do you happen to know what solenoid you are using for your bug spray?
Thanks

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Ok guys this is getting crazy! I have had 2 car wash techs, a plumber and my jack of all trades guy look at this thing and nobody can figure it out!
The water T's off to a shutoff valve, then booster pump, then out of the pump goes to the solenoid, check valve, chemical injector then to the bay. In the bay there is a shutoff valve and a check valve before the manifold on the floor. When I open the shutoff in the bay it leaks constantly with enough pressure to send a stream to the middle of the bay. If you turn off the shutoff inside it stops immediately. There is no charge going to the solenoid coil except for when it is supposed too. I have used at least 8 different solenoids and it still does the same thing. I have taken them apart and found no debris. It seems that it has to be a solenoid issue since it's job is to shut the water off but there is no way that I have had 8 bad solenoids. I'm totally baffled. Anybody have anything?

MEP001

Reaction score
Do the solenoids work for a while like they should before they start leaking?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Some of them do some of them don't. Sometimes they work till the tech gets to the interstate then leak. The last one I put on leaked immediately. I don't see how it could be anything but the solenoid but I don't see how it can be the solenoid either.

MEP001

Reaction score
One solution would be to make sure there's pressure trapped before the solenoid so there's something to hold it closed. Pilot-actuated solenoids don't usually seat well if there's no pressure behind them, although I haven't had any problems with the ones like I posted for you. Another would be to add a check valve with a strong spring to prevent siphon.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I have the exact Ryko set up that Soapy is using in two touchless automatics and I don't think I can ever remember replacing one of those solenoid. I had both Soft Gloss and Touchless Automatics.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Add it where? I have one in the bay and one in the equipment room.
There is enough pressure to leak in a stream to the middle of the bay. That should be plenty to hold the solenoid closed. Right?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have the exact Ryko set up that Soapy is using in two touchless automatics and I don't think I can ever remember replacing one of those solenoid. I had both Soft Gloss and Touchless Automatics.
That's what makes it so frustrating!!!!

soapy

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of your setup? I could compare it to mine and see if anything is different. On my OHD the soft water pump has 3 large valves. One of the valves is a fresh water that is only turned on during a fresh water rinse cycle or emergency rinse. If this solenoid is not sealing it could be letting city water pressure flow through the pump. SInce your bug spray is mounted on the floor and is probably the lowest line you have the water would take the path of least resistance out to the bay.