What's new

Bug sponge/scrubber

washnshine

Reaction score
Is anyone using those sponges covered in a netting material to prep bugs off of grilles and windshields? I’m sure they would be safe on glass, but are the too harsh on painted bumpers? Will they leave any hazing or marks on paint especially with regular use or weekly customers?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
We’ve been using for years and they work great.
We prep the front end with high pressure and if needed we use the sponges.
We have customers that ask for us to use them before they enter the tunnel.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Bug sponges are safe to use on paint. It's the yellow "bug blocks" that can scratch paint. Ask me how I know....

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks Axxlrod. What are “bug blocks”?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Bug sponges are safe to use on paint. It's the yellow "bug blocks" that can scratch paint. Ask me how I know....
OK, so the ones that look like coarse yellow block sponges are a no go? I was just about to order some

washnshine

Reaction score
Ok - I think I saw them on line. They look almost like the same material as that “scrub daddy” sponge that they used to have in stores. It does seem like it would be too course for paint.

DavidM

Reaction score
We used to use the sponge covered in netting but switched to something like this.
They do not scratch if used wet, but should not be used dry. They work great, we have been using them for a couple years.

David

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
We used to use the sponge covered in netting but switched to something like this.
They do not scratch if used wet, but should not be used dry. They work great, we have been using them for a couple years.

David
Those are bug blocks. We used to use those for years. We'd leave them soaking in a bucket of soapy water, and even then they could scratch paint. We stopped using them.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I’m going with the sponges covered in netting. Seems similar to the windshield washer cleaner and squeegie found at gas stations.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I’m going with the sponges covered in netting. Seems similar to the windshield washer cleaner and squeegie found at gas stations.
That one?

washnshine

Reaction score

washnshine

Reaction score
Mine will not be in the hands of customers, just employees so I don’t have to worry about them “walking”.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Dultmeier has those with a 20" handle for about a dollar less. An extra 5% discount if you buy a box of 24.
Link please. I see then for $2.60 - $295 on the site without the handle. Handle is another $1.35 plus shipping