What's new

Bucket washers

John J Spokas

Reaction score
These are the same people who voted for Hillary and O’Bama. No sign or reasoning will have any effect. Try Mace.
I don't think that is a precise analysis. Assholes come in all sizes and flavors in my experience.

MEP001

Reaction score
it always takes a moment for the customer to understand the point, but when they do, it’s a hard one to argue.
After 38 years I'm done arguing with customers. I just tell them it's illegal and I will call the police. I've been threatened, cursed at, etc. and I just won't put up with it for a few dollars. It's surprising how fast their attitude changes when they realize they're being kicked out.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
If I was building a new wash, I might put a loop in the floor so at least once the meter stopped, it could keep beeping until they put money or or pull out. Maybe even a voice recording, "your wash has ended, please exit or deposit additional payment". If I was tech savy I would have it say welcome to our wash on entry and then if no payment ins 3 minutes, go to the exit message and beeper.... But then I don't even run off teh bucket washers, just glad they spend some money, get lots of free car wash cleaning spray bottles usually at least half full too... to bad I no longer wash my car at home.

MEP001

Reaction score
If I was building a new wash, I might put a loop in the floor so at least once the meter stopped, it could keep beeping until they put money or or pull out. Maybe even a voice recording, "your wash has ended, please exit or deposit additional payment". If I was tech savy I would have it say welcome to our wash on entry and then if no payment ins 3 minutes, go to the exit message and beeper
That's all pretty cheap and easy to do. You can either cut the floor for a loop or use a loop plate that bolts down. I've been wanting to use alarm motion sensors to do similar things. I'll eventually have four lights per bay and have half shut off at night, but have them come on if someone drives in, which I can also use to alert me someone is at the wash so I can monitor video.

WBNTEXAS

Reaction score
I stopped a man and wife late one afternoon with a filthy, Home Depot rental mini excavator on a trailer. Easily 300++ pounds of clay. They had thrown the center bay wand over the wall so they could double team the mess with 2 guns. They were just getting started when I got out of the truck, went over and turned both timers off. I ask him, "Who in the hell do you think is going to clean this up?" He said "I didn't see a SIGN saying I can't.".....

MEP001

Reaction score
Yup, there isn't room for signage that lists everything they can't (or out of common courtesy shouldn't) do. My last run-in was this past Sunday when it was very busy, guy had pulled into a bay on a phone call, sat there for a good ten minutes, then left. Maybe 45 minutes later he's back in the same bay and had rolled down his window to chill in the bay on the phone to smoke a cigarette. I just signaled him to move out of the bay, he said "I'm going to wash my car!" I told him he's welcome to after he finishes his phone call and cigarette but to clear the bay in the meantime (All the others were in use). His response: "I didn't know you had a policy against that." I said the policy is common courtesy and I'm trying to run a business. He did wash his car.