What's new

'Bubble' Film After Auto Wash

Vinny

Reaction score
Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I've let let it go for far too long, but about 6 months ago I went to an automatic car wash (got a regular wash and wax) on a very hot day, and now I have this film all over my car, a 2007 Honda Civic, that resembles the look of the film on a bubble when looking at it from different angles. It's a multi-colored film: rainbow-y, if you will. The stains are in downward-flowing paths all over the car, predominant on the sides. Even the windows have this stuff baked into them.

I've searched all over the Internet, asked people at parts stores, and can not pinpoint what may have caused this issue. I've heard theories on Purple Power, but that's about it (Would this stuff be in the lines at an automatic car wash???). The heat on this summer day was certainly a culprit.

Wax had no effect, but that's all I've tried thus far. I've been told by friends that a 'soft' buffing may do the trick. Is the damage permanent? I'm well aware that I probably have waited too long, but I was just wanted to see if there were any products that may get rid whatever has done this to my car.

Thanks in advance,

Vinny

mikeycarwash

Reaction score
It's called acid rain, industrial fallout.

It has nothing to do with the carwash. Your car has been out in the elements for 3 years now and in that carwash for about 5 minutes. What seems more likely? Good news is that a good detail is all you need. After 3 years your car is due for one anyway. A mild polish will probably not work, get a high speed buff. Good luck.

Vinny

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, mikey. I'll find someone to try to buff it out.

For anyone else willing to provide advice, these are very pronounced streaks on the car, obviously not due to normal, everyday wear-and-tear. You can see the damage a mile away. The paint looked fantastic until that day, and I kept it washed and sometimes waxed. It was definitely those 5 minutes that caused it. A friend actually noticed it the next day. Immediately after the wash it looked fantastic, trust me. I really think it was due to baking in the Southern sun.

buda

Reaction score
Bubble Film on Honda

Vinny

Did you go through a touchless car wash at a gas station or self service carwash? Or, did you go through a conveyorized car wash?

Regards
Bud Abraham

jfmoran

Reaction score
I do not agree with the statement that it has nothing to do with the car wash, nor do I agree with it being called acid rain or industrial fallout. I tell you what it is: more than likely this cars paint has no clear coat (bought that way) that coupled with the admitted lack of vehicle cleaning maintenance of regular washing and waxing means this car was highly oxidized when it came to get washed. Being in that state, more than likely whatever pre-soak was used to wash this vehicle would cause staining and or runs in the paint where it removed the oxidation. The fact that it is on the windows also leads me to believe that it was probably a touchless wash (though not necessarily) with a chemical dilution that was too strong for the time of year and the heat of the vehicles being washed. The one statement I do agree with is that the vehicle will need to be professionally detailed to fix the problem, however, light polishing will not fix the problem.

John Moran

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I re read the post numerous times and find that at least one, maybe 2 things curious.

1. This ones a maybe. Sounds like the issue was not apparent immediately. (Correct or not). If there was an issue with the solution at the wash, I doubt very much there would be a delayed effect. Any issues woud have been noticeable immediately.
2. Never heard of a wash solution effecting the windows to a point where it would not come off with a little soap and water or at the very most a little solvent.

What was the time lapse between the wash and noticing the problem?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
"resembles the look of the film on a bubble when looking at it from different angles. It's a multi-colored film: rainbow-y, if you will."

Sounds to me that that you have residue from a sealant or clear coat protectant that was not rinsed properly and got baked on by the sun. I have seen this before. This can be nasty to remove. If the finish is in good condition (not oxidized) a strong cleaner like a Purple Power should remove it but be sure to rinse it thoroughly and apply some wax afterwords. If you had it detailed it should also be fairly easily removed in the buffing process. If it is oxidized it will have to be buffed off.

buda

Reaction score
John I can tell you this with certainty, that a 2007 Honda Civic is a vehicle with a base-coat/clear-coat paint finish.

So your commentary about the damage being caused from an oxidized paint would not be accurate in this case.

No question that on oxidized, single stage paint finishes, what you describe could occur, it is not the case with a 2007 Honda. Unless, of course that car had been repainted with a single stage paint and that is unlikely.

Regards

buda

Reaction score
Ron Holub has more years experience in the chemical business than many of you have been alive and I think his analysis is "right on."

Regards

jfmoran

Reaction score
After re-reading the initial post, I would have to agree wholeheartedly with Ron's
assessment.

Bud, believe it or not Honda and I believe Toyota still paint some of their cars with Single stage paint. Honda does it with their white as well I believe with one of their reds.

John

buda

Reaction score
John:

Thank you for the post.

You are correct, I believe that Lexus has at least one vehicle in their line that is single stage paint, a black. Never been able to determine why they used single stage on that particular vehicle.

The Honda in question is a base-coat/clear-coat as I check the paint books in our paint touch up system and the 2007 Honda Civic's have a 2 stage paint system.

Regards
Bud A

MEP001

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it, not after six months and almost certainly not on the windows.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I saw something like what he describes once before. Customer parked his car under some trees that were sprayed with a liquid fertilizer that etched the paint and windows. Miracle grow is very acidic and if not washed off right away, could cause this type of damage.

buda

Reaction score
So the car went through a touchless car wash at a gas station? That is probably the answer to the problem. Poor control over the acid/alkaline bath the car got when going through the wash and a poor rinse.

Acid will do it everytime.

Bud A

buda

Reaction score
Moreso on glass if it is not diluted properly and applied properly and rinsed off properly.

There are some acids like citric acid that would not harm glass, but those acids used in touchless washing if used incorrectly can easily etch glass.

Consider what "acid rain" does to glass?

Bud Abraham