What's new

BT9 IDX Timer in my combo vacs acting up.

APW

Reaction score
Two of my combo vacs timers are acting up. Some of the pixels wont show up so you cant read the time left or the scrolling message correctly. Is there any way to fix this or do I need to buy new timers?

MEP001

Reaction score
You can order the LED modules from mouser.com - last time I got them they were about $6 each, and there are six per timer. They're $18 from IDX.

You'll need to replace all six modules at once - I tried replacing a couple bad ones, and for some reason the new ones were super bright and started to fail after just a couple months.

APW

Reaction score
Thankyou MEP001! I've looked at mouser.com but im not sure which ones to buy? Would you have a part number?

toshiba1

Reaction score
I just got back two BT9's back from IDX, it cost me 150.00 each to get the LED's replaced.

jprb

Reaction score
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! Mep001 & Autocare forum!! After I read this post, I ordered 12 LED modules from mouser for $50.71 including shipping. I fixed both of my BT9 timers on my IVS combo vacs. They look like new! It took me about 30 minutes to fix them both!!

Thanks again!
JPRB

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...WAvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-TA20-11SRWA

These fit the BT800. I don't know if they'll fit the BT9, but the modules just unplug and the Kingbright part number is on the back.

They've gone way down in price since the last time I bought them - 10 or more is only 3.56 each.

APW

Reaction score
Same here. Fixed both of my vacs today. Thanks again!

jprb

Reaction score
Well, the new LED modules have mostly failed. Displays are worse than the originals. Any ideas why they failed so quickly? Time for new timers?

MEP001

Reaction score
Were the replacements the same part number as the old ones?

jprb

Reaction score
Mep001, Yes, they were the same part number. They looked exactly like the ones I replaced. They worked great when they were new - very bright compared to the old ones. Some of the modules appear to have failed completely, and the others are mostly out.

Thanks
JPRB

APW

Reaction score
I changed mine out on two combo vacs the same time you did. So far no problem.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
This is not the exact timer.... but each timer just has different components on the board (I think? :) ). This is just to demonstrate how easy it is to remove the displays which mep1 was talking about.

MEP001

Reaction score
Mep001, Yes, they were the same part number. They looked exactly like the ones I replaced. They worked great when they were new - very bright compared to the old ones. Some of the modules appear to have failed completely, and the others are mostly out.

Thanks
JPRB
Did you replace all the segments at once? The first time I had some failing, I only replaced a couple in each timer and the same thing happened.

They look like they would fit upside-down, but I assume they wouldn't work at all that way.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
The displays are tabbed and if you don't remove all the displays at once you shouldn't be able to put them in wrong.

MEP001

Reaction score
LEDs are DC and don't work with reversed polarity (They're diodes), so as I said they probably won't work at all if installed wrong.

Yes, the displays are tabbed, but the sockets aren't.

Doyle Vacuum

Reaction score
I would suggest you contact IDX to discuss the problem. I know there is an adjustment somewhere to calibrate the output of the LED sockets - if this is not set correctly, it could cause the LED's to fail. I know it costs more to have IDX do your repairs, but they will repair the timer properly, and when you get it back it should be just about as good as new. Also, they should be able to fix any other issue that might be the cause of your problem.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I am guessing Doyle vacs use idx timers also. :)

I have no clue what "calibrate" is referring to? But when I think of a display needing to be "calibrated" you would have a larger problem then single dots or rows on a matrix not working.... but you could try replacing the driver chip for that display?

Also of course it's fine replacing the display.... they sell replacement displays? If it made your timer fail every time they wouldn't sell the replacements? Also mep1 said he has done it before? I have done mine when it was on.... by accident! LOL :)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I would suggest you contact IDX to discuss the problem. I know there is an adjustment somewhere to calibrate the output of the LED sockets - if this is not set correctly, it could cause the LED's to fail. I know it costs more to have IDX do your repairs, but they will repair the timer properly, and when you get it back it should be just about as good as new. Also, they should be able to fix any other issue that might be the cause of your problem.
jprb & others,

I agree with Doyle Vacuum. Here appears to be a case of not thorough enough knowledge. In consultation with a control engineer on an extremely challenging control design ... he made me aware of some of the intricacies involved with LEDs. I would have to invest some time to go back in my notes to say more. It seems like if the milliamps are not calibrated properly in unison with each other ... the life of the board &/or light emitting diodes (LEDs) could be put at risk! I remember him having me use one of my multimeters & he explained to me how to set that specific multimeter up to properly measure the precise milliamp current flowing with the multimeter's probes. I hope this helps on the overall understanding a bit more.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score
jprb & others,

I agree with Doyle Vacuum. Here appears to be a case of not thorough enough knowledge. In consultation with a control engineer on an extremely challenging control design ... he made me aware of some of the intricacies involved with LEDs. I would have to invest some time to go back in my notes to say more. It seems like if the milliamps are not calibrated properly in unison with each other ... the life of the board &/or light emitting diodes (LEDs) could be put at risk! I remember him having me use one of my multimeters & he explained to me how to set that specific multimeter up to properly measure the precise milliamp current flowing with the multimeter's probes. I hope this helps on the overall understanding a bit more.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com
How is replacing a component with an identical component going to necessitate recalibrating the LED driver?

In what way does this convoluted post aid in understanding anything?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
How is replacing a component with an identical component going to necessitate recalibrating the LED driver?

In what way does this convoluted post aid in understanding anything?
When I called idx I heard the same type sales pitch/service pitch while trying to get a manual. I don't remember any details either.... I wasn't interested.... my timers were fine and I wasn't going to send them in for no reason?