What's new

Brushes for Vacuum motors

Brookswash21

Reaction score
I was wondering when your brushes wear out on one of your vacuum motors do you replace the whole motor or just replace the brushes?

asking because the motor is still good and I took the brushes off then when I went to have the local carwash place to order them for me they suggested I just buy a whole new motor?

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
We buy the new motor, fast and easy!
plus the armature on the motor becomes concave and the motor doesn't perform as well with just new brushes.

Roz

Reaction score
We tried replacing the brushes but found it less effective than replacing the motor. Seems that more than the brushes go with time and use. Customers notice the new motors too.

Keno

Reaction score
New motors, I can replace both motors way quicker than brushes. And you can definitely feel the power difference with new motors.

Reaction score
I replace brushes several times before I replace the motor. You definitely need to make sure to replace them before they get too short though. If you let them get to short, electricity arcs between the two surfaces and ends up ruining the motor. The brush kits that we order have a little measurement/installation tool that has a line on it that tells you when the brushes need replacement. Replacing the brushes for all 3 motors costs me about $9, instead of $108 for replacing all the motors.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Brushes are fine to replace if you're willing to do the periodic inspection of them. If you let them go until they are "gone" you've most likely damaged the motor itself and then there is no point in changing the brushes. I have customers in both camps. Some don't mind having to periodically inspect the brushes(and the time it takes) and others feel there is better use of their time and wait for the motor to die and swap it out. The real rub on focusing on the brushes is no one can give you a set schedule to follow. Every vac at every site has differing usage rates so the brushes will wear out at different times. It could be 6 months, a year, 90 days.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
I change my vac brushes once a year, in August. They are normally just about gone by then. We change out the motor every 3rd brush change, by then the armature is about gone. You always want to inspect the armature whenever you replace the brushes, if it’s concave toss it. I’ve never noticed any difference in the vac suction after a brush change. A friend of mine puts a vacuum gauge on the end of the hose about once a month to make sure it’s still within spec. https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-29439-oci-instruments-c03vl-200wv-vacuum-cleaner-test-gauge.aspx

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replace the motor when it burns out; fast and easy. I keep 4 or 5 in stock.

franksmissing

Reaction score
I change the brushes...personally I think its easier than changing the motor.
I think the same! It’s easier to change only the brushes, and not change the motor yet! And it's even cheaper)))

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I changed brushes until the armature was toast for years. Here lately I'm tempted to change them no more than once,then toss the motor or give it to more thrifty friends in the business. I keep three motors on the shelf and when one gets changed out they all go. Keeps downtime to a minimum. I use the relative inexpensive VAL9414, from Kleen rite, less than $50 each. I probably get 10K in vac revenue before a swap out is needed, fair enough trade.

Brookswash21

Reaction score
I very much appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I bought new brushes because you know sometimes money is tight but I think by the time I caught it the damage was already done to the motor.

So I bought a new motor but I think I will just start keeping a watch on the brushes and go from there.

but again thank you to everyone who responded. I am so grateful for this forum for real

Randy

Reaction score
I had to replace a vac motor this morning. I didn't have time to look at the brushes, but I think I'm have changed them last July. I always mark the date I install the motor and the date that last changed the brushes. I saw the date that I installed the motor was 8 years ago, so I think I got my money's worth out of that one. When you change a vac motor you always want to match the new vac motor with the 1 or 2 motors that are currently installed, same brand and model motor. Different brand vac motors turn at a different RPM.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
I replace the brushes as soon as the thing stops sucking, i do check vacs 3 days a week minimum to stay on top of them. I have several vac that have motors that have been in service since 2013 and 2014. Brushes are cheap motors are expensive, everytime i change a motor i write the date on the motor in wide sharpie and very Large, each brush change the date gets written as well but in regular sharpie. I just changed brushes in one from 2013 today that has had 12 brush changes done since it was originally installed.