What's new

Bring Back Bristle Brushes - Just a Thought

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
MOC was concerned about selling gasoline and it showed because most sucked at selling convenience and carwash – usually operated as vending machine rather than strategic business unit.

MOC is gone. I believe if you call on convenience and petroleum retailers today you would find them most interested in stuff that would help them grow brand equity.

For example, WAWA has expanded to Florida and has knocked the socks off stalwarts like 7-11 and Hess. WAWA doesn’t do carwash.

Convenience retailers that succeed with carwash today are the ones that have chosen to adapt and move forward.

These retailers produce a clean, dry car, offer guarantee, customer loyalty, community involvement, etc.

These folks have become better car washers, and I would not suspect they would have interest in taking steps backwards to filament.

mac

Reaction score
My recent experience with c-store washes is mostly limited to sites in Florida - and most of them suck. Most are also ran by our lovely friends from the middle east. Won't get into that here as I would most likely get deleted. Either that or a major brand that has 27 gas pumps and one clerk in the store. In short none but the very few concerned owner operators really gives a hoot about it. Sad but true.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Introducing a carwash to the multi-profit center mix requires a commitment to understand and operate a carwash properly, meaning rendering an acceptably clean & dry vehicle on a consistent basis. Absent that commitment, c-stores would be gambling on devaluing their reputation for other components in which they have demonstrated and established reliability. Most oil companies initially did well because they used carwashing merely as a loss-leader premium to sell more fuel (which was their primary comfort-zone. C-Stores were a natural extension of their established world of selling sundry items, and they understood inventory management. The carwash commodity became too cumbersome for the oil companies, so they left.

Carwashing was, and still is, somewhat of a mystery to most c-store operations simply because they have never really changed their operational paradigm. Yes, there are some exceptions, mainly due to a specific operator who pursues efficacy. But not many.

However, I agree with Bob that carwashing remains a vendible commodity... as long as it does not create a drag on the well-established convenience factor. Keep in mind that, just like oil companies, c-store platforms utilize clerks in their labor format. That translates to hands-off vendible transactions with little or no liability of damage claims. C-Stores are the anchor, even when carwashing may be a "sometimes draw". C-store operators are merchandise retailers, not service providers... and they may not appreciate the weather dependency of carwashing, real or forecast. And if the c-store embraced an express washing dynamic, their platform would either have to change emphasis... or suffer FUBAR.

Per your comment, Bob: If plastic filament was repackaged with a beneficial marketing story of advantages and benefits, would you still feel as though it would be a backward step? :confused:

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
“....

I also know some carwash operators are their own worst enemy.

When hot wax was reintroduced, a friend of mine told me the first thing a fellow operator asked him was how much do you think I can cut back on the amount of product recommended before the wax won’t work?
OK, color me silly. The questions seems to make perfect sense Use just what you need to get the desired effect, show and results whether it be Cleaning Solutions, polishing solutions or Hot Wax. Using more than just what you need is not only wasteful but can be counterproductive. For instance Foam soap provides a great show. It's relatively cheap so the more I pile on the better the show, but that doesn't mean more will clean better, and if I put on too much, rinsing it off becomes a probled.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
The key phrase you used is "Use just what you need to get the desired effect, show and results..." because the visual impact actually does make a huge difference... and it can be manipulated quite effectively.

Several studies confirmed that when ample, no ... generous amounts of foam has a significant impact on perceptions... and distinguishing reality from perception is in the mind of the beholder. The overall conclusion was that if meager amounts of soapy detergent was used, consumers were concerned about the quality of the wash. In contrast, when ample foamy lather was used in the same wash, customers were impressed with the cleaning process. Same place, same equipment. Also, when road film remained on parts of the low suds process, customers complained about their wash quality. However, in the test with ample lather application was part of the process, and road film remained, consumers felt that the dirt must really be imbedded because plenty of soap was used. The wash operation was not at fault; the dirt was the culprit. The power of perception can be awesome... and as market researchers have known for decades, when some is good, more must be better. Not exactly factual, but most have found it believable. The same studies found that different fragrances had similar affects in perception, especially with premium product applications. We spent decades involved in motivational research and enjoyed great success in applying the results in retail carwash and detailing operations. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE MIND!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I remember with an early touch free tunnel where we were getting great results but not a really great show. Customers complained even though the performance of the wash was very good. We ended up putting in and arch with a neutral foamer that covered the vehicle after they had completed the wash process before they got to the polishes, sealant and drying agent. The complaints stopped. Perception is everything.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Once, many years ago when dinosaurs roamed and the earth was cooling the air injection into my soap foamers failed and a customer complained to me afterward "I didn't get any soap". I asked "Is the Car Clean?" His reply "What does that have to do with anything?" As I am thinking '''''''''O.K. next time we will give you lots of foam but the car won't be clean is that O.K.''''''''' I had the similar epiphany to RPH >>>>> Perception is reality<<< We must give customers not only the Steak- Clean dry car, but also the sizzle - show.
So, getting back to "Angel Hair" filament, with windows full of soap and water customers would hardly perceive the material. (After several years not one comment on my lower details or bottom section of High Side wheels with filament on the bottom. Does a better job on wheels nooks and crannies.) They will perceive results. Operators will perceive efficiencies.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
You missed my point somewhat, Earl.

Let’s say a manufacturer of coffee determines it takes one teaspoon of product to make a six ounce cup. Manufacturer determines this ratio scientifically in taste test lab using standard research methods.

The end result is labeling – mix one teaspoon with six ounces of boiling water, container makes 30 cups. If you want stronger coffee, add a little more.

Next, consider Joe Blow’s drive-thru coffee store. Joe experiments and discovers he can cut back to one-half teaspoon, and the coffee still looks as black as if one teaspoon was used.

So, Joe believes he can cut a fat hog selling coffee at 50 percent COG as compared to competition because most people who stop and buy are impulse shoppers – just happened to be driving by.

However, over time, many customers don’t come back and the more disgruntled eventually get the word out that Joe’s is selling weak coffee.

In the end, the loss of business is greater than COG savings.

Yes, soap is relatively inexpensive but hot wax at $0.25 per ounce per six ounce application is significantly more.

Yes, suppliers want you to buy more than less, just like you do with your customers. However, suppliers also want you to make money so you can continue to buy from them.

Consequently, if hot wax could be cut back to two ounces and work as it does at six ounces, I’m sure the suppliers’ instructions would be so. By “work,” I’m referring to desired effect – wall of foam, beading water, shine, longevity – maybe weeks instead of days like drying agent.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“If plastic filament was repackaged with a beneficial marketing story of advantages and benefits, would you still feel as though it would be a backward step?”

Since anything is possible, I can’t say, never.

Arguably, filament and potential reintroduction to the installed base of equipment would have to happen first at grassroots level.

So, the question becomes.

Do you believe there would be a ground swell of independent carwash operators that would embrace the idea of retro-fitting their livelihood with filament brushes?

If you could get ground swell, then maybe you could convince gas/c-store crowd to hop on board.

Otherwise, the gas/c-store that views carwash as important to overall profit picture has much more important issues to address than filament versus foam or soft cloth.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You missed my point somewhat, Earl.

Yes, suppliers want you to buy more than less, just like you do with your customers. However, suppliers also want you to make money so you can continue to buy from them.

Consequently, if hot wax could be cut back to two ounces and work as it does at six ounces, I’m sure the suppliers’ instructions would be so. ...............
I figured that what you said in this last post is where you were going. However as initialy stated it seemed like you meant that an operator should accept suppliers reccomendations without question. He still wanted it to work.
In this last post you suggest that suppliers are looking after your bottom line and their specs are reliable.
I submit that an educated operator will question everything, not trusting suppliers to have their best intersts at heart.
Does supplier B who wants $600.00 for 20 gallons of polish wax which dilutes at the same rate, same show and same percieved effect as supplier A that cost me half that much care about my bottom line? Are there costs really double suppier A's costs ? Should I care? Do they really care about my bottom line? How can they prove their product is twice as good or my customers will buy a boat load more improving my bottom line because it has a name brand so the cost differentila will be meaningless?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I submit that an educated operator will question everything, not trusting suppliers to have their best intersts at heart.”

Assume two motorists pull into Joe’s Express Carwash and each buys the $10.00 wash.

I’m driving a Chevy Metro, the other guy a Cadillac Escalade. My car is half the size, yet I have to pay same price as Cadillac.

Does Joe have my best interest at heart or the other guy?

It’s up to Joe not me to reconcile. If Joe isn’t willing to have my best interest and $10 at heart, perhaps the guy down the street will.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

Assume two motorists pull into Joe’s Express Carwash and each buys the $10.00 wash.

I’m driving a Chevy Metro, the other guy a Cadillac Escalade. My car is half the size, yet I have to pay same price as Cadillac.

Does Joe have my best interest at heart or the other guy?

It’s up to Joe not me to reconcile. If Joe isn’t willing to have my best interest and $10 at heart, perhaps the guy down the street will.
Thank you for agreeing with me. The Metro owner is sophisticated enough to ask the question like the operator who wants to know the minimum needed for the desired effect. Like the metro owner who seems to have a guy down the street who will do the same job for a lower price, why should he spend more than he needs to?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Of course, I have to agree with you.

For example, Advance sells generic windshield wash for $0.99 a gallon, Rain-X brand with glass protection and bug tough for $2.49 and Peak brand with glass and bug tough for $1.99.

Peak works as well as Rain-X does, costs less $0.50.

If Rain-X means more to me than Peak, I’d probably spend the extra $0.50. However, windshield wash isn’t a generator or brake pads, so I buy Peak brand.

If I didn’t believe that the glass shield beaded up rain very well or lasted a while or didn’t eat through bugs faster than generic, I’d spend only $0.90.

On the other hand, my wife is pretty frugal and she trusts no one or anything at face value.

She would buy gallon of generic and then make two gallons out if it.