What's new

Boom won't move on WW 1.0

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Gantry is moving back and forth. However boom does not move at all, even on pre-soak. Tried flipping the toggle on the Gantry to lower boom and it will not work either. Top two prox lites are lit properly. Nothing blocking safety eyes either.

Thoughts?

dclark3344

Reaction score
I would switch the bottom prox with the top prox to see if the proxes have failed and you can always go in to the service menu on the red lion and compare the two automatics to see if it is not reading one of the proxes. Let us know what you find.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Boom issue

Here are some other things.

I notice when you are in the gantry and push the "oscillating" button, the VFD (Danfoss in my case) will act accordingly.

Same when you advance the gantry, the Danfoss will act

However when you push the boom down button, nothing changes on the Danfoss (3rd on the right). Does this maybe mean the VFD is bad? OR is a prox issue causing the VFD to not activate? The VFD is lit up with (65.0) on the led as always. But it seems it just is not getting a signal. Also when you push the boom down button, the light, lights up on the small terminal strip (I think it is RD08). Arrgh...frustrating

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Good thought. Do you mean the bottom prox of the 3 that are in a row, or the very bottom prox at the bottom of the shaft?

dclark3344

Reaction score
Good thought. Do you mean the bottom prox of the 3 that are in a row, or the very bottom prox at the bottom of the shaft?
Very bottom just in case that prox is sending the signal that the boom is all the way down. Just a guess I would go to the red lion and see if it shows the proxes and what the computer is seeing.
Good luck

dclark3344

Reaction score
Here are some other things.

I notice when you are in the gantry and push the "oscillating" button, the VFD (Danfoss in my case) will act accordingly.

Same when you advance the gantry, the Danfoss will act

However when you push the boom down button, nothing changes on the Danfoss (3rd on the right). Does this maybe mean the VFD is bad? OR is a prox issue causing the VFD to not activate? The VFD is lit up with (65.0) on the led as always. But it seems it just is not getting a signal. Also when you push the boom down button, the light, lights up on the small terminal strip (I think it is RD08). Arrgh...frustrating
The little output relays (RD08) can also go bad. You can flip up the cover and ever so gently remove the little black box and switch with one of the others. I had my enter now light staying on the other day and found the relay on the light bar had gone bad. It was not showing to be hot but when I unpluged it, the light went out.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Gantry is moving back and forth. However boom does not move at all, even on pre-soak. Tried flipping the toggle on the Gantry to lower boom and it will not work either. Top two prox lites are lit properly. Nothing blocking safety eyes either.

Thoughts?
On one of our machines we have a problem of the boom motor not shutting off in time or the top prox misses or what ever happens to cause it to run up and jam the transmission to tight for the motor to back the boom back down.
What I do is take the rear of the motor off and manually reverse the motor with my hand to drop the boom down a small amount to get it out of its bind.
This has happpened several times in the past year maybe once every 3or4 months.
You might check to see if it has jamed up on its stops.
Bob

dclark3344

Reaction score
Robtl.
Have you replace the rubber stoppers on the boom stop plates?
I had a similar problem today and thought the boom was binding up. I replaced the rubber stops and then the proxes. Mine would always stop at the back of the car. The red lion would have an error that the boom motor ran too long. The motor was not hot and we had not been that busy yet. It might run a couple of cars but would fault out after it had soaked them in soap. I finallly found a niche in the communcations cable where in comes out of the box to the bay. It had found a spot between the spiral wrap and was shorting out when the boom was extended to the back.
PS I had never even noticed the rubber stoppers were missing until I had this problem.
I have also found out that on the inverter drives that you need a fuse kit between them that will keep a short from taking out ALL 3 of the drives in the gantry electrical cabinet. I ordered the kit from Coleman because I just found out about it.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Robtl.
Have you replace the rubber stoppers on the boom stop plates?
I had a similar problem today and thought the boom was binding up. I replaced the rubber stops and then the proxes. Mine would always stop at the back of the car. The red lion would have an error that the boom motor ran too long. The motor was not hot and we had not been that busy yet. It might run a couple of cars but would fault out after it had soaked them in soap. I finallly found a niche in the communcations cable where in comes out of the box to the bay. It had found a spot between the spiral wrap and was shorting out when the boom was extended to the back.
PS I had never even noticed the rubber stoppers were missing until I had this problem.
I have also found out that on the inverter drives that you need a fuse kit between them that will keep a short from taking out ALL 3 of the drives in the gantry electrical cabinet. I ordered the kit from Coleman because I just found out about it.
On the machines here the rubber boom stoppers were not on the machines when new, the kit was ordered and installed later. I have not noticed any wear or bottoming out of the rubber stops, but also I have not really inspected them that close either.
The next time it jams the motor and gears, I will look the stops over real good before I back it off manually.
Did you change the top proxes and the stops at the same time? and also fix the short, if so it could have any of the three changes that fixed the boom problem (right)??
Thanks for the info on the vfd wiring fuse.

dclark3344

Reaction score
robtl,
Each thing I did I thought fixed the machine because it would run a couple of cars before quiting again. When it quit, it would not move anything. I would clear alarms and reset and nothing, after 20 minutes it would just start working. I would try something else and the same scenerio. If I left the next car it would quit. 9 AM to 6:30 PM a few more gray hairs and washing my mouth out with soap. LOL The rubber stop bolts were rusted up and had to grind off the part that went thru the nut then heat and silikroil it.