What's new

Boom Issue #450

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Hey folks. Thak you for all the help I get on this board. I really do appreciuate it.

Here is a new one for me. I came to the wash today and got an "oscilating motors tripped out" error. I reset the machine and now I can't get the boom to come down manually. I go to the gantry and try to manually lower it. I can move the gantry front and back, and the oscilllating motors work, but when I try to lower the boom. Nothing. I am not seeing the ligts come on the 24 volt output in the gantry cabinet when I push the boom down or up button. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You have three Freq drives on the gantry. Try resetting the one that controls the oscillating motor. .But if they tripped that isn't good. Could just be a shorted cord going to the oscillating motors.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
The oscillating motors are working. What is not working is the boom. It will not go down. Could be a prox issue?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I guess I should actually "read" your post instead of just scanning it. Just my ADD kicking in. It's worth looking at the bottom boom prox. And I assume you have checked the freq drive for the boom to make sure it hasn't tripped.

FWIW, on one unit mfg in 2002 I had an occasional problem unit where the boom would not move. It took a combination of resetting and re-powering the ECC while the switch on the gantry was in manual overide to make it work. Can't remeber the sequence. but if you can find nothing else wrong it's worth a try.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Thank you for the idea. I will try the "resettig" idea. What concerns me is that I am getting no lights on the 24v output in the gantry control panel

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Update: Thanks Cage Fighter for the idea. I noticed on the ROC 16 in the ECC that #14 was lit. Almost as if the reset button was stuck. Basically the auto-cashier was stuck on reset. Messed with it awhile and all is good.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I would try to trace the wires back to see why you are not getting power to the switch, have had problems in past with bad grounds on both my gantrys, they seem to corrode over time and need replacing.

wheelies

Reaction score
wisheewashee, I am having a similar problem. # 14 on the roc16 is stuck. I can't get it to shut off. any ideas. I have been having trouble with my gantry for a while. the boom wont come down, talked to tech support and they said it was the top boom prox. but i have replaced it and still nothing. and it keeps giving me the error message " boom motor ran too long" or " boom did not come down"

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Not sure what #14 is, but if the wizards are watching your prox at the home down, and middle position. if one is stuck on the wizard thinks the unit is somwhere it's not. Could be either the prox or cable going to the prox.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had proxes stay on in my machine (Superior). Happens when mine get old or slightly damaged so water can get in and short it out. Cable rub through will also cause a false or 'ghost' input from a prox and cause a machine to act screwy.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Bad buttons

wisheewashee, I am having a similar problem. # 14 on the roc16 is stuck. I can't get it to shut off. any ideas. I have been having trouble with my gantry for a while. the boom wont come down, talked to tech support and they said it was the top boom prox. but i have replaced it and still nothing. and it keeps giving me the error message " boom motor ran too long" or " boom did not come down"

I replaced all of my yellow cycle buttons on the from of ECC. Bad buttons will cause issues you may not think they will.