What's new

Boom end fitting for foam brush?

KleanRide

Reaction score
Guys - the low pressure booms in my wash (foam brush and triple foam) have 1/2 inch female threads. I've been using 1/2 inch male to 3/8 barb fittings to connect the hose to the boom, mainly because that's how the previous owner did it.

Is there any downside to using a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer bushing on the boom end, and then just screwing the low pressure hoses straight to the boom? I can see how the barb fitting might save the boom if someone hooks the hose on their vehicle and drives off, but so far that's never happended at my wash.

Thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
In my experience, the hose will break or tear out of the fitting before it can break anything. The 3/8" barb would be a weak point for it to break, sounds like a good idea if you're worried about the boom getting damaged. I use a 3/8" male x 3/8" female "adaptor" in the high pressure booms for the same reason.

FWIW I use 1/2" pipe thread to 3/8" flare, then a flare to push-lock barb. I keep a few hoses made up with the flare fitting on one end so the attendant can swap out a hose quickly.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I dont see any downside to using a bushing. In fact, I try to standardize all parts to 1/4 and 3/8, so anything that has a 1/2" female gets a bushing. I do suggest SS bushings, only because the brass ones seem to deform on me occasionally... Im told I use too much force on too many things but I deny it, its defective parts. :rolleyes:
I also notice you didnt say anything about a swivel - I use one both at the boom and the gun/brush.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Thanks, I like the idea of the push lock. I have a swivel on the brush end but not at the boom. No problems so far with just one swivel.

MEP001

Reaction score
I dont see any downside to using a bushing. In fact, I try to standardize all parts to 1/4 and 3/8, so anything that has a 1/2" female gets a bushing.
I try not to use bushings or any other adaptor if I can help it to reduce cost and the risk of a leak.
I do suggest SS bushings, only because the brass ones seem to deform on me occasionally
I've only had problems with brass bushings deforming when I try to remove one without a fitting inside it.