What's new

Bonus Time/Courtesy Time

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
In my other post I talk about adjusting my time, etc....

I have a lot of what I would call 'unused technology' at my wash that I would like to incorporate into the wash cycle.

I use the bonus time feature (2 weeks out of each month) and just recently I was able to use an info-key (supplied by dixmor) to program a night owl special. There is quite a bit more that can be done with the ultimate timers that I have.

Questions:

Bonus Time - Do you offer it? At what price points? Always on? What kind of signage explaining it?

Courtesy Time - Do you offer it? How long? Signage?

I want to incorporate these things into my wash cycle, but what is the point if my customers don't understand what they are getting for their money.

Feel free to post pics of your signage too....

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a local guy who offers "double time" from Sunday midnight 'til Friday 6 PM, once $5 or more has been deposited before time or grace runs out, the accumulated and additional time is doubled. He turned a very poor performer into a very good one with that.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think I would even if our equipment had that ability. I feel like we're doing well without any bonus times. I'd probably do it if I were building up a struggling wash with lots of competition.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
So no one else offers anything like this at their wash? I know there has to be someone else out there that has some input.

Don't be shy

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have done for about 3 years. This is the only price sign displayed above my faceplates.

[/IMG]

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Looks good Ric.

If you get a chance, PM me the contact info for your daughter's design company. I am going to be putting up new signs in the spring and she has done some great work. I want to see what she can do for me.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Bubbles:

Many years ago I went with"HALF PRICE AT NIGHT - - DOUBLE TIME - - 9 PM TO 7AM".
That's how the banner across the facia at my Valentine wash read. A footnote added that it applied to the four north bays only.

My partner often arrived at the wash just before 7. When he reported cars waiting behind the half price bays and the other 4 empty, we went with all 8 bays. The did it at a second wash.

Of course I can't provide any statistically valid evidence to show how this impacted gross revenues. Who can? I can report two points of interest: 1. Both these washes did extremely well - - over $2,000 per month per bay though at least some of that was do to many other promotions - - try OPRAH for President. 2. A few customers let me know how much they appreciated this effort. The washes at owned were priced at or near the top on a cost per minute basis but using the half price special with discounted tokens (up to 40%) we were close to the cheapest in town.

Promotion/publicity works!

Patrick H. Crowe

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That is the idea I am going for. If you don't take advantage of my specials, then we are the most 'expensive' wash in town. I guess I will have to try and get more people to understand how our specials work, and when used concurrently, we are the cheapest wash(best value) in town.

**our twp. won't let us use any vinyl banners, we've tried.

stef

Reaction score
Stef

Hello everyone, I like the idea of bonus times, and also Patrick?s idea with the double time at night, (a good way to keep the wash running day and night!). This shows customers your willingness to provide them with options. People like options. I need to make these types of changes to my wash. I like the idea of tokens, especially allowing to customers to use credit cards and giving incentives to buy more tokens. With tokens I would definitely do bonus times and maybe double time at night. Question # 1. Are you guy?s using a DSL connection for your credit card/ token machine? Question # 2. I have spoken to Jim at Etowah Valley and his in bay Credit Card system sounds pretty impressive. Any comments on that, Pros, Cons, vs. Tokens?

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Bubbles:

Just a quick comment on not allowing banners. Kansas City MO has a sign ordinance. It is long and messy and only enforced if someone complains.

I put up a banner on the front of my house. It read: "OBAMA - - because OPRAH knows! Will she join him on the ticket?" Someone complained. The banner was 2' high and about 30' long and could easily be read from the street. Note however, it did not advertise a business or things for sale.

I went to court four times. I consulted with two lawyers. I wrote a 17 page brief. The judge finally ruled the ordinance was unenforceable and let me go (by the OBAMA had been elected).

All that to suggest there are free speech issues, free enterprize issues and much more involved when municipalities which ban banners.

PIt might be woth exploring, especially at a business. Example: Can you paint the sign of the building?

Patrick H. Crowe

Etowah