What's new

Boilers and Tankless water heaters

stujoscarwash

Reaction score
Will 3 Navien tankless water heaters work as well as a boiler? Pros and cons if anybody has switched over. Still planning on keeping my storage tank. Feeding 5 bays, RO, weep system and overhead trough heat. Figuring about 23 gal. a minute.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
What about the Navien Combi-Boiler unit?, I'm too looking at the Navien systems for 3 S.S and 1 Auto for hot water but the prices I'm been getting are ridiculous, one company wanted $17k for 3 Naviens ohhh sure do I get a free coffee mug with that?

wash4me

Reaction score
With a tank ( I assume you have a 100 gallon or more tank) one 199900 btu would do it and 2 would be more for redundancy in case one failed.

wash4me

Reaction score
You need to download a copy of the install manual and draw it out yourself. This is a one day job for a decent plumber.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you have an insulated storage tank with sufficient size plumbing to not lose flow, the worst that will happen if you undersize the tankless heater is that the water won't be hot.

There's a heater unit that's a single-piece unit of a stainless tank and high efficiency heater, about half of $14,000.

Randy

Reaction score
We use a Rheem 76 Gallon 199,000btu Commercial Water Heater G76-200 water heater for a 5&1 and have ample hot water.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Will 3 Navien tankless water heaters work as well as a boiler? Pros and cons if anybody has switched over. Still planning on keeping my storage tank. Feeding 5 bays, RO, weep system and overhead trough heat. Figuring about 23 gal. a minute.
Ok here goes it! I'll try my best to help. First, Call Chris Rojas at Carwashboilers.com. The man helped me over the summer preparing for the winter months. I have had 3 Paloma tankless heaters since opening in July of 2005. Every time I turned on the tanks during the winter months I would lose volume to all my chemicals which I heat. The tankless water heaters only produce around 5GPM and it wasn't enough water flow when all valves were open durning busy days. In 2013 with the polar vortex, we had a freeze up with temps getting around 35 below 0. All tanks froze and pipes burst. What a mess. Clean up was easy but dealing with Insurance was a nightmare. That's another story. I installed 3 Navien Tankless water heaters and repalced piping with Pex, which was not a good idea. It reduced the size of the diameter of the pipes and made the previous problem worse along with water restricted through 5GPM in the tankless heaters. I showed Chris the problem and he recommeded a reserve 50 gallon that holds the hotwater and when the demand is needed there is also a pump on my 2 inch main that boosts the volume. Not a booster pump but a pump to my tank. I'll try to post pics. Since install from Chris's recommendation, no problems. Also, install a by pass in case hot water tanks fail.

Last edited:

stujoscarwash

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I have a 150 gal. storage/ water heater so it sounds like it will be sufficient and a recirc pump. I am using copper 2 inch.

wash4me

Reaction score
Htp makes a residential unitthat has the same heat exchanger and the same parts but is only 75,000 BTU and 50 gallons it cost about $2000 I would think about getting one of those and just running a circulation pump between that and your storage tank .